Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The value of owning top end optics

The value of owning top end optics

Last night whilst out foxing with another SDF member I had a good example of why you need top end glass.

My .243 has at present has a v cheap XC 6-24x56 30mm scope on it , Dave has a 8x56 Swarvi on his rifle.

Anyway we came across a newly cut field of grass which was alive with foxs its 250 yds long anyway getting into position to get on the fox when Dave sees a superb roe buck walking in the shaddows along the bottom hedge row. its about 10 pm so the light is going.

Shoot the f.... thing says D but i can't see it. Eventually I get on it but I can see sod all through the scope. D wants to shot it and I say no anyway we have a 5 min commentary on it as I strugle to get a clear sight on it. I resort to swapping rifles and well major revelation as I can see the buck well enough to shoot, but despite all attempts to stop it it disappears through the next hedge.

Never mind we can catch up with him another day but will need to swap scopes by the.

Anyway we did get 3 foxs out of the field later on thermal was a great help.

D

Crikey 10pm, I bet the light was going

I was watching a blackbird and a thrush feeding on worms last night at 10.30 Eddy, plus they were still singing at 10.50. Mind you come the winter it will be dark by 3.30 in the afternoon .

John

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Crikey 10pm, I bet the light was going
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

The only interesting thing I see at 10.30pm is hedgehogs in the orchard at the side of my house.
    When I first heard them making 'Noises' I approached causiously as I wasn't sure that it wasn't a young couple getting amorous.
    I haven't seen many Thrushes lately, lots of field fares that look similar when spotted initially but not as pretty when seen close up.
    Sorry to go off thread but yes I must agree it does pay to have top end glass when you can afford it.
    It not only enhances what you can see but also has a higher end residual value when something newer comes along.
    Last edited by EMcC; 13-06-2014 at 12:36.

swaro z6i + el's seeing is believing when the light get low

I bought a pair of those Swarovision binoculars when they first came out as the advertising was so good.
    They said that you would be able to see more and clearer too.
    I must admit tho' that I haven't seen any more Deer on my ground since using them

I was out 'lamping' last night over stubble and recently cut grass and never had to turn a light on the moon was that bright. With Swarovski binoculars I could see what was about in all but the darkest corners even after mid-night. It was almost as good as lamping over snow covered fields.

The foxes weren't playing ball, but I did find some bucks that look to have moved in recently

If you go north its still quite light at 10pm clear enough for a shot with a bad scope

this is why ive got a swaro 8x56 on my stalking setup and swaro binos, you cant beat them in low light situations

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post
    Last night whilst out foxing with another SDF member I had a good example of why you need top end glass.

My .243 has at present has a v cheap XC 6-24x56 30mm scope on it , Dave has a 8x56 Swarvi on his rifle.

Anyway we came across a newly cut field of grass which was alive with foxs its 250 yds long anyway getting into position to get on the fox when Dave sees a superb roe buck walking in the shaddows along the bottom hedge row. its about 10 pm so the light is going.

Shoot the f.... thing says D but i can't see it. Eventually I get on it but I can see sod all through the scope. D wants to shot it and I say no anyway we have a 5 min commentary on it as I strugle to get a clear sight on it. I resort to swapping rifles and well major revelation as I can see the buck well enough to shoot, but despite all attempts to stop it it disappears through the next hedge.

Never mind we can catch up with him another day but will need to swap scopes by the.

Anyway we did get 3 foxs out of the field later on thermal was a great help.

D
    Come on Dave you've been umming and arring about a new scope since Kelso... it's hand in pocket time!

I had a buck at 2205 last week (15 minutes of legal light left at the time) - no problem at all with Schmidt & Bender.