Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 300WM - Every day rifle

300WM - Every day rifle

Good afternoon all,

After the spectacular H4H shoot this weekend gone (many thanks 8x57) and seeing a lot of stunning rifles around I am now looking for a new 300WM which will become my every day rifle from foxes up to boar etc.

I have a budget of around 1500 with scope, not so fussed about having a mod or even being screw cut but it does need to be a wood stock.

I have seen the CZ 550 Medium Lux and it looks nice but I am open to opinions on this, the M70 classic isn't due into the UK until December this year.

I am not looking to reload so some ideas on factory rounds as well would be brilliant!

Thanks in advance.

I think CZ has discontinued the 550 Safari in 300 Win Mag, which has iron sights, and upgraded wood. That is a nicely balanced rifle, with just a slightly shorter barrel than most 300 WMs. CZ puts a really good barrel on their rifles.

I didn't not realize you cannot get the Winchester M70 over there. If you are going to shoot a large scope, the straight comb on the stock of the Supergrade is nice. These are beautiful rifles.
    Model 70 Super Grade, Bolt Action Deer Elk Big Game Rifle -- Winchester Repeating Arms -- Product Model

300 WM is a lot of rifle for most game smaller than an American elk, really into its own with bullets 180-gr or more. If you get one, you really should consider hand loading. It won't cost you $200 to set up. Then you can make some milder loads with 125 gr for fox and 150 gr for deer and practice.

I was thinking of this in the abstract only the other day. I recently bought a Sako 85 in Stainless Laminate in 30-06 for boar and moose although I will probably use it for larger/tougher deer too. My 'go-to' rifle generally is a 6.5x55 Sauer.

Anyway, now I've got used to the round, I was thinking 'hmmm - should I have just put a different barrel on the Sauer and used it for everything?'

A shooting mate bought the same rifle in 300WM with the idea that he will use it for everything except long range fox for which he has a .204.

Both of us would rather dig our eyes out with a shovel than reload and we have found that Norma (150 and 180) and RWS Evo (180) fly very well. I would have thought that you could put together a package around a Tikka T3 within your budget. Tikka certainly do well with factory ammo. If I was trying to put together a do-it-all combo, I would look at a variable scope - maybe 2-8 or 2-10 or 3-12

Have you considered stepping down a shade to, say, 30-06? Still a great all-rounder with slightly longer legs than a 308, but not quite as heavy hitting as the 300WM.

regards

Ian
    Last edited by rabbitter; 13-06-2014 at 14:16. Reason: typo

Since rabitter brought up the .30-06, I will give my second to that. The .30-06 and 7x64, because of the case size, are very versatile, with the huge selection of bullets in both calibers. The .300 WM is a more specialized cartridge, above the .30-06, just as the .270 is below it. The .30-06 comes with a huge variety of factory ammunition, from 123-gr to 220 gr. You will surely find several factory loads which shoot well. Unless you are shooting game at 400 yards, it doesn't bring any advantage over the 30-06.

Two of my best shooting .30-06s ( I own 9 ) are the Tikka T3 Lite SS, and an older Remington 700 Synthetic BDL SS, both right out of the box pouring every factory and military loading into small groups. I paid less than $500 for each of them at the time. That is where I would go, and then you would have lots left for a scope, case, sling, and ammo. If you like wood, try to find an older M700 BDL with little use. The one I have had since 1967 shoots better every year.

At reasonable hunting ranges the difference between a 30-06 and the 300 with the same bullet is not worth worrying about. What is significant is the inherent accuracy potential advantage offered by the 30-06 over the 300 WM. The WM headspaces on the belt whereas the 30-06 headspaces on the casing shoulder. The 30-06 alos has a longer neck holding the bullet more precisely and securely. Sure you can reload the WM to headspace on the shoulder but the OP does bnot want to reload does he.

SS

Spend half that amount on the rifle as you will need the other 750 to feed it factory ammo!!

Don't get me wrong I am almost considering getting rid of my .270 (almost...never happen)
    but I reload for the 300Wm and at 35-55 a box of 20 you would need a very good reason not to reload if you do anything other than the odd trip here or there
    Unless you want to use some of the 10's of 1000's of 145gr FMJ Privi that it is rumoured Henry Krank overordered and sells of at 70 a 100!

Don't listen the all the stuff spouted about neck length and belt headspacing
    There is nothing wrong with the accuracy potential of the cartridge or any named brand of rifle...if there was numerous armed forces and police authorities wouldn't have adopted the 300WM as their light sniper round of choice.
    I stopped headspacing off the belt after one firing.
    pointless exercise IMO

As for comparing energy delivery.
    No deer or pig will ever know the difference between getting hit in the vitals by a .308 180gr, or a .30-06 180gr or a 300WM 180gr.
    but that's not the point really....

and secretly that's why you want one isn't it?!??!?

Something deeply satisfying with the slow thump in the shoulder as a 208gr leaves the muzzle at close to 3000fps

Very much so bewsher, I had a 300WM about a year ago but it was a Howa 1500 and it just didn't have that 'feel of a soul' so go rid of it. I did reload for it but that was because at the time I was doing a lot of shooting where as now its about 20 shots a month (if that) so spending 30 a month is fine in my eyes and I also have a 243 and a 22WMR which make up the cabinet.

Many saw the accuracy of the 22WMR monster at a 100m at the H4H shoot last weekend, there was even a "I'm going to do a headshot" 100m running deer straight in the eye

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Don't listen the all the stuff spouted about neck length and belt headspacing
    Now why do you suppose a lot of serious long range competitiors used the 30-338 WM, do yu think it might be because it offered a longer neck?

Armed Forces and police authroities are not neccesarily gun-savy so following there lead might result in going off the same cliff. Their leadership oftne makes buying decisions based on their gut-feelings and not neccesarily on any technical exxpertise.

SS

Quote Originally Posted by ths84 View Post
    Good afternoon all,

After the spectacular H4H shoot this weekend gone (many thanks 8x57) and seeing a lot of stunning rifles around I am now looking for a new 300WM which will become my every day rifle from foxes up to boar etc.

I have a budget of around 1500 with scope, not so fussed about having a mod or even being screw cut but it does need to be a wood stock.

I have seen the CZ 550 Medium Lux and it looks nice but I am open to opinions on this, the M70 classic isn't due into the UK until December this year.

I am not looking to reload so some ideas on factory rounds as well would be brilliant!

Thanks in advance.
    Do you already have an open slot for a .300 Magnum ? A mate of mine who is an RFD was denied a .300 Win Mag for use on UK deer, he was told that if you already had a 30 Cal magnum for deer then so be it but they will now not condition a new one for UK deer. He was granted for target and hunting abroad.

Regards

Ed

I have a dozen calibres from .22 to.375H&H.

For most game, from fox to red deer, from woodland, hill and mountain stalking I pretty much use my 300WM for everything.