Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hogweed burns

Hogweed burns

Nasty things, as we've just found out (google to find out more)

anyone got any advice for looking after them? Antibiotics are being taken but not sure they are doing any good or even necessary.

burns were obtained last saturday while running from lizard to lands end, and exposed to quite a bit of sunlight.

watch out while in the countryside, there are some odd things out there!

There was a thread on here the other week. All you can really do is keep it clean, dry and not exposed to sun (sun block etc) + maybe something like HC45 if doctor suggests

I'll search out the thread...

Edit: recent thread Bitten by something.. What the caused this?
    Last edited by csl; 13-06-2014 at 20:25.

nasty stuff giant hogweed is just springing up now on the verges about 3 feet high allready,like getting dipped in hot water blisters appear when exposed to sun ,so cover up,
    DONT START

I got hit by it last year. Put eumovate cream (some steroid cream you can get without prescription) on it untill it calms down and Full block sun screen on affected areas for the rest of this year no matter how little sun and it should be fine for next year. Where it got me the skin still looks different to he rest and has freckles but it's not burning and blistering like it did last year when I forgot the full block.

Man, I thought the UK was going to be a safe place to move to (in terms of the flora and fauna). Not like somewhere such as Australia with all their nasty poisonous biting things! Between the ticks and the hog weed I'm going to have to be careful. Anything else to keep an eye out for?
    Hayden

Don't eat yellow snow!!

Following on from my initial post on this, the blister has gone, leaving some slight scarring. I was very careful yesterday when I was strimming.

Brooklands Holiday Apartments in North Yorkshire
    www.visitbrooklands.co.uk

Find us on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brook...71190506238710

Health Hazards & Safety Instructions for Giant Hogweed

When giant hogweed sap, which contains photosensitizing furanocoumarins, contacts human skin in conjunction with sunlight, it can cause phytophotodermatitis - a serious skin inflammation. In brief, the sap prevents your skin from protecting itself from sunlight which leads to a very bad sunburn. Heat and moisture (sweat or dew) can worsen the skin reaction. The phototoxic reaction can begin as soon as 15 minutes after contact, with sensitivity peak between 30 minutes and two hours after contact

What should you do if you are exposed to giant hogweed sap?

• Wash the affected area thoroughly with soap and COLD water as soon as possible
    • Keep exposed area away from sunlight for 48 hours
    • If a reaction occurs, topical steroids applied early can reduce the severity of the reaction and ease discomfort
    • If sap goes in eyes, rinse them with water and wear sunglasses
    • If a reaction has occurred, the area of skin may be sensitive to sunlight for a few years and you may want to apply sun block or keep the affected area covered from the sun when possible
    • See a physician if you have a reaction or any questions

Hogweed isn't the only one which can cause this by the way... A mate of mine had a an almost identical reaction to ragwort while strimming. There are others which can cause it too... like parsnips!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi hunter View Post
    Man, I thought the UK was going to be a safe place to move to (in terms of the flora and fauna). Not like somewhere such as Australia with all their nasty poisonous biting things! Between the ticks and the hog weed I'm going to have to be careful. Anything else to keep an eye out for?
    Hayden
    Hogweed,hemlock,deadly nightshade and death caps all not very nice in a salad !