Thread: Scope cleaning?

Scope cleaning?

While I was out stalking this morning I some how managed to get bird poo in the end of my scope on the glass, any suggestions for best way to clean it? Can I just use glass cleaner or does it need anything special?

Stuff some moist kitchen roll over it, leave it for a while and with luck most will come away with the roll on removal.
    Cheers Ted.

SACS Member. DSC 1.

Not something I have had to do but I would beware of the poo being gritty and possible scratches, so as Ted suggested things will little movement in minimize the risk

Thanks Ted, normaly I would breath on it and clean polish with a soft cloth but this needs something a bit more...effective and I didn't want to damage the glass or scope

Upend rifle, squirt/flush liberally with glass cleaner, dry with lens cloth when sure all muck removed.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I would run the effected lens under a gently flowing tap ........................... not hot water of course . Then allow to dry then clean as per normal with lens cleaner and cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    I would run the effected lens under a gently flowing tap ........................... not hot water of course . Then allow to dry then clean as per normal with lens cleaner and cloth.
    That is what I would do but be slightly cautious of lens cleaner as it often has penetrative qualities and you don't want to get that inside a scope if the seals are not quite what they should be.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Thanks guys, much appreciated, never had to deal with this level of contamination. Have now purchased some flip up covers so hopefully won't have the same problem again