Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: help loading 308

help loading 308

Ok trying to getting the seating depth on my 308 I have got 150 grs pro hunters ,so chambering a bullet in a cut case dose not push the bullet in enough ,it has to be 60 tho of the lands to give enough bullet length to get to the base off the neck dose that sound ok
    Last edited by berg; 14-06-2014 at 11:33.

Why not just set the COAL recommended in your reloading manual or use a factory cartridge to set up your die? For stalking distances any perceived increase in accuracy will be minimal.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Just try seating the bullet .308" deep ignoring any boat tail. Or just so the base of the bullet is at the base of the neck. Thus if your case prep is good it will ensure a nice concentric seating.

60 thou off the lands might well be perfect in your rifle. The bullet does not neccessarily have to be close to the lands to ensure accuracy, some do and some don't....Just load up a few and try....

Cheers & ATVB

Philip
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    Just try seating the bullet .308" deep ignoring any boat tail. Or just so the base of the bullet is at the base of the neck. Thus if your case prep is good it will ensure a nice concentric seating.

60 thou off the lands might well be perfect in your rifle. The bullet does not neccessarily have to be close to the lands to ensure accuracy, some do and some don't....Just load up a few and try....

Cheers & ATVB

Philip
    That 83 thou that sounds a big jump

if the bullet is set at C.O.A.L. 2.750" where is it in relationship to the lands assuming you have trimmed the case to 2.005"

I'll have a look at mine later for you. I think there is a fair jump with most 150gr bullets. the .308 doesn't seem to mind this and accuracy not affected enough to worry about. My 6.5x55 does however like to have a much smaller jump, but this is easily obtained with the long bullets.
    What rifle you using?

Quote Originally Posted by african jack View Post
    if the bullet is set at C.O.A.L. 2.750" where is it in relationship to the lands assuming you have trimmed the case to 2.005"

2,750 is from the point of the bullet,I have seated it .308 ,in the neck witch came out at 2.750 or there about not over throw

Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    I'll have a look at mine later for you. I think there is a fair jump with most 150gr bullets. the .308 doesn't seem to mind this and accuracy not affected enough to worry about. My 6.5x55 does however like to have a much smaller jump, but this is easily obtained with the long bullets.
    What rifle you using?
    Tikka t3 lite

Get a OAL gauge and a comparetor. Take the guess work out.

got one, I was told that ,as a rule of thumb the bullet should be seated at least as deep as the width eg calliber .308 .And to do that there appeared to be a quite big jump but as it came in just under the C.O.A.L ,I gather that it will be ok 78 thou jump to the lands when seated at .308