Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help please 6.1x49

help please 6.1x49

help please I have a guest wanting to bring this cal 6.1x49 is it legal for red deer in Scotland? and can you advise on its speed etc. with thanks David

It's a new expression on me.

I did once see 243 described as 6.1x52 in ( I think ) a Vectan catalogue. But from a quick look nothing listed as that in any trade lists from Lapua/ RWS/GECO/Norma or S&B - who tend to do some esoteric European numbers.

6.1 is a strict expression for 243.

Something like 6mm BR Remington/ Norma sprang to mind, but they are 39mm cases.

Others on here will likely pull the ace out of their sleeve for you. It sounds as though its going to be 243 WCF ball park - so hard to say it will defn. meet velocity etc at 100 grains. Your client must either have a factory ammo box - often with ballistic details on them - or at least a makers name to give us a clue where to look. Otherwise he /she must be reloading - so hopefully have some data their end.

I await words from the wise (r) with interest!
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

awe min that's just braw, I knew that it was in about 243 right enough, just don't know about velocity. its a strange one on me. his other cal is 9.3x62 big game gun,& he is not bringing that one, so from one end of the chart to the other. with thanks David

The only cartridge I could find anywhere near that size is the 6mm interational which is a 250 savage necked down to 6mm
    Last edited by sikadog; 14-06-2014 at 17:19.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

ok that's another wee bit of info we will get there, yeah its a difficult one, with thanks David

243 win is a true 6mm round anyway . It is .235" so not actually .243" .it does sound like the 6mm Inter round there fore ok on Roe in Scotland but not Reds.

Is 243 win not metrically described as 6mm x 51 ?
    Last edited by waterford103; 14-06-2014 at 19:24.
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
    Adolph Hitler 1933

Andy think you will have seen.243 described as 6.2 x 52 not 6.1, sorry I just can't help being a smart a@@e

Look Bogtrotter, dont start with the pendantism ( see what I did there ), I shall now have to go find that old Vectan data chart, copy it and bring it round to your house just to prove the point - and you'll have to feed me and supply copious drink.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

all sorted now with thanks to andy7mm well done. its a 6xc 6.1x49 an American round for very long range. first part of info missing in first post soz. and yes it is more than legal for red deer in Scotland
    Last edited by scotlanddeerstalking; 14-06-2014 at 21:39. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by scotlanddeerstalking View Post
    all sorted now with thanks to andy7mm well done. its a 6xc 6.1x49 an American round for very long range. first part of info missing in first post soz. and yes it is more than legal for red deer in Scotland

Bonus is that now you don't have to get him so close to the beastie

Stan