Thread: If a follow up search is needed, how long before the meat is not fit for consumption?

If a follow up search is needed, how long before the meat is not fit for consumption?

There have been a number of articles on here about deer shot and found later the next day after a follow up search. If the deer can't be found at the time it was shot and requires a follow up search the next day, how long would you consider to be OK before you would start to worry about the quality of the meat. Obviously it will depend to a certain extent where it was shot and the ambient temperature, so looking for some opinions and feedback from people who have used the meat. Was it tainted?, etc.

Kieran

The follow up is all about the welfare of the deer at this point not of meat quality following up too early may push the deer on before it has couched up and result in never finding it. Personally if the ambient temperature was above that of what the chiller is running at, eg above 7 degrees then its not worth risking just put it down as a bad job. Meat spoils quickly at thus time of year it really does depend on temperature and flies. At the start of August I try and get my fallow in the chiller within a short a period as possible but hopefully within 2 hours.

A lot will depend on the where the beast has been shot and if its still alive when found, as a general rule you are looking to have done a green gralloch within 30 mins of death, so if you find a dead beast next day it really is a no no, likewise a gut shot animal is always a bit iffy even when dealt with immediately, if not found for several hours, even if still alive I would not let it enter the food chain as the meat will have become contaminated by that time.

However I am talking about selling carcases what you choose to eat yourself is entirely up to you.

Realistically probably 95% of wounded beasts that I have been unable to find until the following day have been unfit to enter the food chain.

But having said that following up a wounded beast is not about the meat its about animal welfare

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    A lot will depend on the where the beast has been shot and if its still alive when found, as a general rule you are looking to have done a green gralloch within 30 mins of death, so if you find a dead beast next day it really is a no no, likewise a gut shot animal is always a bit iffy even when dealt with immediately, if not found for several hours, even if still alive I would not let it enter the food chain as the meat will have become contaminated by that time.

However I am talking about selling carcases what you choose to eat yourself is entirely up to you.

Realistically probably 95% of wounded beasts that I have been unable to find until the following day have been unfit to enter the food chain.
    Unless as you said,not mortally hit,eg leg,neck,head,spine etc.
    But having said that following up a wounded beast is not about the meat its about animal welfare
    Last edited by Wolverine; 15-06-2014 at 10:10.

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Thanks for the replies. Yes I realise that the primary purpose of the follow up is for the welfare of the animal, I didn't bother to mention that as I assumed that would be a given and would be the duty of all stalkers. I was wondering if anybody actually used the meat which so far appears to be NO.

Quote Originally Posted by kieran222 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Yes I realise that the primary purpose of the follow up is for the welfare of the animal, I didn't bother to mention that as I assumed that would be a given and would be the duty of all stalkers. I was wondering if anybody actually used the meat which so far appears to be NO.
    Hi mate,
    There are a number of different variables at play here, as mentioned above if recovered and still alive and kicking, I don't see any reason it shouldn't be eaten, especially if recovered quickly and the carcass clean.

If however it's been gut shot at last light and not found until morning the likelihood is the carcass will be spoilt.
    The general thinking is that there will be a migration of bacteria through the stomach wall into the cavity of the beast. . Upon eventually gralloching where all that contamination will end up is anyone's guess.

The name of the game is to play it safe, as you don't want contaminated venison landing on someone's platter.

Just another quick point, I'm convinced I can tell the difference by taste of a deer which was shot whilst full of adrenaline to one which was calm and well bled after shooting.. . Metallic tang from the meat I think.