Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 308 - a caliber for all occasions.. Home and abroad

308 - a caliber for all occasions.. Home and abroad

Hi, am considering putting in a variation to have a 308.. This is on top of a 270 (x2) and 243, for hunting in Europe.. So boar will feature.

opinions?

Brooklands Holiday Apartments in North Yorkshire
    www.visitbrooklands.co.uk

Find us on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brook...71190506238710

30-06 being another alternative to a 308 which might have the edge with a longer barrel and heavier bullet weights. I'd be in favour of the 308 especially with say 20" barrel. Huge amount of ammo available and long barrel life means one can practice plenty without worry.
    Some rifles will feed the longer 30-06 cartridge more reliable than the 308.
    edi

Personally given the choice of 308 or 270 for boar I would choose the .270
    faster, flatter and harder hitting ME and impact energy as a result

30-06 is a good call

Well I like mine, and it is a very confidence inspiring round. It is also pretty gentle in my rifle (unmoderated) albeit it does make a bit of a boom! I wanted a round for all UK deer plus boar and my FEO agreed it was a suitable choice.

Guy

Why go for a .308 if you already have two .270 rifles, why not go for something of larger calibre if you are thinking specifically of boar. Saying that the .270 with the right bullet and load will do the job but perhaps not quite as good as something of larger bore size. The way that I look at it there is no real discernible difference between a .308win and a .270 win ballistics wise.
    Last edited by 8x57; 15-06-2014 at 10:03.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I was in the same position a while ago but was considering 30-06 or .300wm as Reds/boar/chamios are on the list of quarry. After speaking to Callum Ferguson and several guys in Germany about the various pros and cons of those calibres (I have had .308 previously) I went with advice and got a 30-06 - no regrets so far.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Why go for a .308 if you already have two .270 rifles, why not go for something of larger calibre if you are thinking specifically of boar. Saying that the .270 with the right bullet and load will do the job but perhaps not quite as good as something of larger bore size. The way that I look at it there is no real discernible difference between a .308win and a .270 win ballistics wise.
    You can't go wrong with a 9.3

An old ph once said to me you are never alone with a .308 any place on the planet you can always find ammo to feed it, be it hunting of fmj it all do's the same job ignoring ethics

it's very interesting when you look at the 30 cal debate and the energy/speed/lethality across the breed. Actually, the difference between 308 and 30-06 is only in your head and on deer/pig/moof it wouldn't make a difference

Stepping up to any of the 30 cal magnums gives you a big jump in energy but also RECOIL which in a shoot reload shoot situation means there is an increase in delay before the first and second shots. A very good reason by 6.5's are very very popular in Europe but have a look at the charts and see the energy varies across calibre but be warned that heavier recoil can be really counter productive in shoot reload shoot situations.

Last edited by Paul at Fechan; 15-06-2014 at 11:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul at Fechan View Post
    it's very interesting when you look at the 30 cal debate and the energy/speed/lethality across the breed. Actually, the difference between 308 and 30-08 is only in your head and on deer/pig/moof it wouldn't make a difference

Stepping up to any of the 30 cal magnums gives you a big jump in energy but also RECOIL which in a shoot reload shoot situation means there is an increase in delay before the first and second shots. A very good reason by 6.5's are very very popular in Europe but have a look at the charts and see the energy varies across calibre but be warned that heavier recoil can be really counter productive in shoot reload shoot situations.

Not a poke at you Paul, but I have to chuckle and eyeroll every time I see these charts. I think someone forgot to tell the countless hundreds of thousands of white tail and mule deer here in the US that the .30-30 is not powerful enough to ethically kill them cleanly. Never mind that a 2117 arrow with a 115gr broadhead at 200fps was more than enough to bring down a 150lbs animal, and it almost certainly didn't have 3000 ft lbs of energy...
    Last edited by MarinePMI; 15-06-2014 at 11:28.