My first roe buck this season.

I've had a really busy period with clients again and though I promised myself never to go into June without pulling the trigger on a buck here I am AGAIN.
This year was different, for many reasons the main one my great stalking partner Breeze was lost in a tragic accident at the start of the buck season. So it never felt right for me to stalk alone, further to this I have a new dog on the team and she has been coming on great despite only been very young and thrown in at the deep end. I purchased her last year as a bird dog, but when Breeze left me suddenly I had to have a dog with me. (A). It felt wrong not to and (B). I believe any pro should have a dog for the job.
Well "Asper" has stepped up excellently and we went for a look out last night. Despite high crops I found a cull buck and me and the dog stalked into it for about 65m's. As we closed the gap the youngster looked like it was going back into the forestry. I knelt on my sticks dialed in 180 onto the scope and squeezed on the deer. It jumped and kicked out. A solid hit. I waited about 5 minutes before we walked in. As we neared it hadn't gone more then 4 m's it started to kick its last, beating a sapling with its back legs. Young Asper shot in and held it while it kicked its last. It was dead already but she has lots of promise.
It was a big event for us and a day I will remember. It s one of the poorest heads I've seen in a long while. (perfect for me to shoot) but I may well have the head cleaned as it was one of those moments.
asper3_zpsa21ff5d9.jpg

asper4_zps952d3775.jpg

asper2_zpsf11a0e5e.jpg

asper11_zpsf90c4326.jpg

Hopefully the start of many and our friendship is welding.

Well done John!
Asper looks like she's taken to posing for the camera as well as she's taken to the deer job ;)

John sorry to hear about you loosing breeze i lost my shooting mate marco back in feb and cannot find it in me to replace him yet..
But glad Asper is filling the gap all the best ..

Waidmannsheil and well done!
A new companion on the way, thats great and I know, it makes you feel much better, also there are always memories and moments to compare with Breeze.... But thats the way it should be, I guess...

Atb for the new team, keep going!

Excellent stuff - do you get many all black pointers in litters as she looks amazing and would sway me more to the breed perhaps?

They are getting more common. In hind sight solid black is not ideal for a stalking dog she does stand out. Now im getting sick of been asked is she crossed with a lab too. LOL

Back