Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: lee collet decapping pin

lee collet decapping pin

Hi all. Well i have finnaly got all the bits i need to reload for my .22 hornet. I have decapped 25 cases and the decapping pin has seperated from the shaft and stuck in the case.

So what now. I suspected the pin and shaft to be one piece.

These are once fired hornady factory cases

Thanks in advance

Regards pete

I had the same problem a while ago. Contact lee customer services, after me sending them a picture they sent one out free of charges. It taught me that it pays to have spares so I now have two sets of dies

IMO, you might need to double check the set up of the die?

Do you have a photo?

That's odd. Are you referring to the decapping and resizing die? Usually if there is a problem with the pin hitting an obstuction the pin pushes out of the top of the die and you can easily free and re-set it if that happens. If it has gone the other way it sounds like the decapping pin assembly has got stuck in the case a has pulled out - is this what has happened? Did you lube the case mouth before decapping and resizing as forgetting to do this is a frequent case of the decapping rod getting stuck. The decapping pin is an integral part of the decapping rod assembly which also forms the mandrel against which the case mouth is re-sized, so if it has come apart, it sounds like it has snapped off.

Quote Originally Posted by Krico308 View Post
    That's odd. Are you referring to the decapping and resizing die? Usually if there is a problem with the pin hitting an obstuction the pin pushes out of the top of the die and you can easily free and re-set it if that happens. If it has gone the other way it sounds like the decapping pin assembly has got stuck in the case a has pulled out - is this what has happened? Did you lube the case mouth before decapping and resizing as forgetting to do this is a frequent case of the decapping rod getting stuck. The decapping pin is an integral part of the decapping rod assembly which also forms the mandrel against which the case mouth is re-sized, so if it has come apart, it sounds like it has snapped off.
    pj1 mentioned that it is a collet die and not a full length resizing die. So no lube and a different construction.

It must have been a tight flash hole sufficient to grip the pin and overcome the interference fit of the pin to the decapping rod as this appears to be made in two parts.
    Last edited by 8x57; 15-06-2014 at 15:34.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I thought it was a single piece?, it's the same one used in their 222, 223 and 22/250 collect dies, part no. NS2620
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy

Dang! I thought the pins were all one piece!~Muir

yup a pain in the bum isnt it.

for now i will load up my new brass and sort a new pin for when i need to resize them

I'd be tempted to pull the pin out and epoxy (liquid steel) it into the shank and keep going.~Muir