Drinks chiller

tika.308

Im looking at getting a second hand drinks chiller to put out in my shed, anyone had any problems using one ? It wont be running 24/7 just as and when I bring a carcass home.

I had the same idea working when I bought it laid it down to transport home it got airlocked cannot seem to get it unlocked so be careful how you transport it

My impression is that they should be kept running. The chap who deals with them up here is scathing about stalkers who switch them off and on.
I'd be happy to get the received wisdom on this, especially as ours (chiller) is on its way.
There are people who deal with this type of thing on this forum.

I switch my drinks chiller on and off all the time tend switch it on when I'm off out so it's chilled when I'm back and haven't had any issues when you transport even if you don't lay down flat give it at 3/4 days to settle before switching on so that the gas settles that's what I was told off refrigeration engineer hope that May help cheers TM

Which problem to start with first.

africanjack
turn it upside down and leave it like that for a couple of days, then turn the right way up and leave for a couple of days it should work fine unless its short of gas then give me a shout and I will tell you how to check. If you transport them flat you need to leave them 24 hours so that the compressor oil runs back into the compressor.

gouthunter1
They do not have to be kept running that is like saying that you should keep your car running contsantly to stop the water pump failing its just that everyone stores them in damp sheds and the thermostatic controllers tend to stick.

tika308
Upright chillers dont cause many problems, the controllers fail £8-20 for a new one if you know how, they get short of gas,most dont but some do arround £100 to re-gas ( when you see a refrigeration company van on the road stop it most of the lads will re-gas a small fridge for £50-60 as a job on the side.
The new household ones use butane as a refrigeration gas and the gas coils are in the sides dont drill through the side to put your hanging bar in there could be a bang.

Last edited:
Why didn't you ask me this earlier when we spoke? ;)

As you know, mine doesn't run unless there is a carcass in there.... so basically it will run for about 7 days in every month on average... sometimes run for a month then off for a month, sometimes on for a week off for a week depending what's going on! When it's not running the inside gets sterilised and the door left open a crack to prevent mildew/general rankness.

There is an old adage about running fridges/aircon which is basically if you leave it then the lubricant in the system doesn't circulate and the seals dry out and there are problems.... but...

My take on it is, with modern equipment, if you have a relatively modern chiller and it is in good condition and you run it once a month you aren't going to have problems. :)

Last edited:
csi
There are only rubber seals in car vehicle air conditioning there are non in fridges and freezers, all car ac leaks most fixed equipment does not.
The seals in car ac are actualy not rubber but man made and the movement in a car and vibration wears them out it is a myth that they wear through not being used because there is a constant 70psi of pressure in the system when not in use and 150psi in the high pressure side of the system when in use and around 30psi on the low pressure side of the system when in use.
Most cars need regassing every 2 years to keep them working correctly.

csi
There are only rubber seals in car vehicle air conditioning there are non in fridges and freezers, all car ac leaks most fixed equipment does not.
The seals in car ac are actualy not rubber but man made and the movement in a car and vibration wears them out it is a myth that they wear through not being used because there is a constant 70psi of pressure in the system when not in use and 150psi in the high pressure side of the system when in use and around 30psi on the low pressure side of the system when in use.
Most cars need regassing every 2 years to keep them working correctly.

I think that was the point I was trying to make... lots of people think that if you don't run fridges 24/7 then they stop working somehow I reckon the car thing is where the rumour comes from but I was trying to say that wasn't the case for the reasons you have just outlined! :D

we have one in a shop (with drinks inside it) it gets turned of for around 7 months of the year - never had a problem in 15 years with 3/4 different fridges.

Thanks Sikadog I will try that when I get home
Which problem to start with first.

africanjack
turn it upside down and leave it like that for a couple of days, then turn the right way up and leave for a couple of days it should work fine unless its short of gas then give me a shout and I will tell you how to check. If you transport them flat you need to leave them 24 hours so that the compressor oil runs back into the compressor.

gouthunter1
They do not have to be kept running that is like saying that you should keep your car running contsantly to stop the water pump failing its just that everyone stores them in damp sheds and the thermostatic controllers tend to stick.

tika308
Upright chillers dont cause many problems, the controllers fail £8-20 for a new one if you know how, they get short of gas,most dont but some do arround £100 to re-gas ( when you see a refrigeration company van on the road stop it most of the lads will re-gas a small fridge for £50-60 as a job on the side.
The new household ones use butane as a refrigeration gas and the gas coils are in the sides dont drill through the side to put your hanging bar in there could be a bang.

Does there need to be air circulation in the chiller?

Internally maybe but definitely not externally. The only air circulation should be for temperature distribution. What you don't want is one which dumps moist air outside because it will dry the meat out much worse (e.g. those areas around the groin/haunches which tend to get skinned when removing the genitalia).

Alex

Last edited:
I had a problem with my S/H Husky chiller shortly after I got it home; it kept tripping the RCD. Turns out the defrost heater element had gone. I disconnected it and it runs fine now (and I haven't had any problems with ice in the matrix).

I've got an old double door Lucozade chiller that only runs when it needs to. Check the seals as mine were £70 a door, but a required investment that should outlast me!

Back