Thread: News!!

News!!

Well this week I read in the Shooting Times (ST) that more and more people have been applying and approved for FAC and SGC's in Scotland. It seems that the number of shooters now in Scotland outweigh that of the anti's, which we know is a small collective of arrogant uneducated or in some cases over educated who seem to through their need for attention get a little bit of backing from influential people due to a PC vote, I have to wonder if this is good news or bad news for the sport.

I personally think it is good news to an extent, the reason for this is simple, with the amount legislation trying to be passed (specifically on airguns) there is no surprise on the increase of numbers in regards to applications and it also opens up the shooting fraternity to no longer being seen as an elitist collective of people. However, there are downsides to this news , the number of areas to shoot is very limited with many established in the sport already struggling to keep the permissions they have, there will also be undoubtedly greater restrictions in the future due to the authorities realising how many people out there have firearms (Scotland is not a huge country). We also have to look at the issue of the paperwork itself as the police are already under staffed and that even a slight variation in your certificate can be a long process in areas.

Even though there is issues that will feel cumbersome all in all it shows there is further more reach for a pro shooting campaign and there is a growing future in our sport, the ability to educate new comers to the sport without fear of reprisal or frowned expressions when you say "my youngster had a shot of the gun today". Maybe with all the rubbish coming up to a independence referendum this only be good news for shooting in Scotland as whatever future government there is will have a larger campaign against any restrictions they may decide to bring in against the use of firearms.

I don't know about your thoughts are on this and I gladly would like to hear them but all in all good news....

Yes I have got to agree that in general its good for shooting,of course there will be winners and losers, while there is and will be plenty pay per day accompanied stalking, leases are becoming both more expensive and harder to get, not only do you have to compete with UK stalkers but also with European stalkers who find Scottish leases to be better value than those in their own country's, European syndicates can also be very attractive to Landowners.

The possibility of D.S.C. 1 becoming the minimum requirement for unaccompanied stalking in Scotland in the near future may also be a restriction for some,something which Belgian stalkers at least saw coming some time ago H.V.V. the Belgian equivalent of B.A.S.C. have been running courses for several years now, and many Belgians who stalk here on a regular basis have D.S.C 1 and some have D.S.C.2

As to the police being under staffed , am I the only one who has noticed an improvement in certificate renewal,
    variations, and visitor permit processing since Police Scotland came into being.

The O.P. made reference to the upcoming referendum whether the outcome is a yes or no will make little difference if its a yes vote we will end up either a S.N.P. or a Labour government, if its a no vote we will end up with either S.N.P or Labour in power at Holyrood with all the main party's offering all sorts of devolved powers in the event of a no vote and firearms legislation likely to be one of them, I don't see a yes or no vote
    will make much difference as it will be the same people deciding firearms policy in any case.

While neither S.N.P nor Labour are exactly pro gun and will no doubt make some changes with added restrictions air gun licencing being one example, raising the age is another that they have mentioned, neither party is blind to how much field sports contribute to the Scottish economy, so a part from some muscle flexing
    and some niggling changes, things are likely to carry on much as they have always done.

I dont think its a bad thing. It will as the O.P. mentioned put more pressure on being able to get a lease as there are more people trying to get a lease or in a syndicate. But we should have a louder voice. One thing I have against the current firearms figures though is the fact that moderators are counted, in the not too distant past few folk had their rifles moderated, now however it is common place and these are added to the figures for the number of firearms we own. So if it says there are 1m rifles out there, there wont be - it will be so many rifles along with so many moderators.
    My biggest worry will be if the SNP get there wish of land reform, "giving the land back to the people". That I think is the biggest threat along with further restrictions on who can shoot. If my understanding of the snippets we hear are correct the SNP dont want any tom dick or harry out there shooting. They'll be deciding who can and cant and what training/courses they will need to have before being allowed to. It certainly wont be as easy as it is now thats for sure.
    So I'm not as sure as Bogtrotter is in that "things are likely to carry on much as they have always done".

I know very little about Scotland apart from enjoying some stalking and fishing up there. However it seems no bad thing that shooters are gaining strength because it seems to me the the Scottish government's land ownership agenda will make things harder in some areas.

I don't know about Scotland, but its good news for shooting. It would appear that overall shooting and in particular deer stalking is becoming ever more popular, one only has to look at the amount of new people joining this site who are keen to take it up.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Hopefully all these new shooters join an association which represents our side of things vigorously at the political table.
    Politicians take careful note of "grey power" as they know the vast majority of pensioners vote.
    It should be the same with shooters, look how much clout the NRA has in the States.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Population density - Scotland - 68 persons (of all types, antis, shooters, MPs, etc etc) to the square kilometre.

England - 407 peeps to the same unit.

It does, however, feel a tad crowded down here.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

I think Boggy has got it correct it will not matter who is in charge in Scotland. Because the advisers will remain the same. The push for a level of competence was not by the government but by SNH. Most if not all the msp,s I know and its a few were ignorant of the facts about shooting.More deer managers has got to be good for Scotland with its real problem of deer management.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salmo Salar View Post
    I dont think its a bad thing. It will as the O.P. mentioned put more pressure on being able to get a lease as there are more people trying to get a lease or in a syndicate. But we should have a louder voice. One thing I have against the current firearms figures though is the fact that moderators are counted, in the not too distant past few folk had their rifles moderated, now however it is common place and these are added to the figures for the number of firearms we own. So if it says there are 1m rifles out there, there wont be - it will be so many rifles along with so many moderators.
    My biggest worry will be if the SNP get there wish of land reform, "giving the land back to the people". That I think is the biggest threat along with further restrictions on who can shoot. If my understanding of the snippets we hear are correct the SNP dont want any tom dick or harry out there shooting. They'll be deciding who can and cant and what training/courses they will need to have before being allowed to. It certainly wont be as easy as it is now thats for sure.
    So I'm not as sure as Bogtrotter is in that "things are likely to carry on much as they have always done".

This is an interesting thread. Down here is Aus we actually have a political party completely devoted to Shooters and Fishers .. not surprisingly called the Shooters and Fishers Party. We ( I am a member and trying to get a state branch started ) already have 3 people elected over 2 states. Whilst it doesn't automatically mean instant and wholesale changes in Firearms legislation, it has served notice on our 'big 2' that there are a lot of dissatisfied shooters and fishers about.
    The Scottish referendum will be interesting, though I suspect the stationery will change and the same groups of people will be trying to restrict your shooting.