Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester 100gr in 243.

Winchester 100gr in 243.

Hiya,

My Remy 700 in 243 loves Federal 100gr rounds, but now Bushwear is having problems getting any stock, so, I've moved to Winchester 100 grainers.

Now, I was out this morning at the "range" having a wee check of the zero...and shot my last 2 rounds of Feds at the target to compare with the Winnies...Feds were spot on,as were the Winnies,....tho, they did sound a good bit louder. BUT, when I felt the barrel and the mod, both were VERY hot, much hotter than it normally is with Feds. They were so hot, I could barely touch them...and that was with only 6 Winnie and 2 Fed rounds fired through...

Is this normal with Winnies?? Any thoughts on this would be greatfully received...I don't want to do any untoward damage to the barrel or the mod if a change to yet another make would halt this.

Thanks in advance guys..

Quote Originally Posted by Norrie1956 View Post
    Hiya,

My Remy 700 in 243 loves Federal 100gr rounds, but now Bushwear is having problems getting any stock, so, I've moved to Winchester 100 grainers.

Now, I was out this morning at the "range" having a wee check of the zero...and shot my last 2 rounds of Feds at the target to compare with the Winnies...Feds were spot on,as were the Winnies,....tho, they did sound a good bit louder. BUT, when I felt the barrel and the mod, both were VERY hot, much hotter than it normally is with Feds. They were so hot, I could barely touch them...and that was with only 6 Winnie and 2 Fed rounds fired through...

Is this normal with Winnies?? Any thoughts on this would be greatfully received...I don't want to do any untoward damage to the barrel or the mod if a change to yet another make would halt this.

Thanks in advance guys..
    Do you really think that Winchester factory ammunition would be damaging to your rifle? Because the barrel and mod felt hotter? Perhaps the Federals were underloaded!~Muir

How quickly did you fire this fusilade of shots? 8 rounds will generate a lot of heat in a sporter weight barrel, even if fired at a reasonably steady rate.
    Last edited by Harry mac; 18-06-2014 at 08:36.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

There was a lot of Winchesters when inspected had seriously cracked cases as myself and Gazza found out. It was eight years ago and although the suited my riflr i have used Federal ever since.

Hiya, I shot the 8 rounds over perhaps 10 minutes...so, nothing untoward..I've shot many more Feds at targets quicker than that, and the heat generated was nothing to what the Winnies created.

I don't feel confident with them , tho they do hit the target, but what with the noise and the heat.... I'll be looking at reloading soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Do you really think that Winchester factory ammunition would be damaging to your rifle? Because the barrel and mod felt hotter? Perhaps the Federals were underloaded!~Muir
    That did cross my mind about the Feds being under powered..., but, I dont have the knowledge about powder loads etc...

Hi there

If I fired 8 rounds in 10 mins I wouldn't not be able to touch my mod. The barrel would be hot but the mod would be unable to be held for any period of time in an unprotected hand. Mines a 7mm08 and not loaded hot (forgive the pun). It's never been a concern for me and, on many occasions, been quite welcome on a cold range day to warm the hands.

I really wouldn't worry about it.

FN

I'd consider 8 rounds in 10 minutes to be too fast for a rifle with a sporter weight barrel. What I tend to do on my range sessions is, shoot my group of 3 or 5 quite slowly, say one shot every 30 seconds or so. I then put the rifle I'm testing to one side to cool down and shoot something else for a bit. Maybe 10 rounds with the .22 or one of my other rifles.
    I'll then walk down and inspect/chage/patch up my targets before shooting the next group with the rifle on test. All this is done slow time and tends to give 10 to 15 minutes between groups.
    Last edited by Harry mac; 18-06-2014 at 08:41.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

I tend to agree with both of you chaps...BUT, it was never like that with the Fed rounds I shot, or even the Privis before that...it's a big difference in the heat and the noise...and having never fired Winnies through the gun, totally has me off tilt...

I'll bow to your greater knowledge of such things, and wont worry about it..well, at least I'll try.....

Thanks guys...

Quote Originally Posted by Norrie1956 View Post
    Hiya,

Thanks in advance guys..
    Three of us did some zeroing yesterday midday, I noticed how hot the rifles and mods were, than realised they were all out in the sunshine, and the barrels and mods were as hot as a car bonnet after absorbing the midday sunshine.
    Easy mistake to make....?
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....