Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can i use this in my Tumbler?

Can i use this in my Tumbler?

Just wondering if you can use this gear in a case tumbler? If not are there any cheap alternatives you guys use that are not the overpriced Lyman, Hornady media?

ProRep Corn Cob Granules (Online Only) | Pets At Home

Thanks

SD Regular
    Some use crushed walnut shells. I am guessing that tumblng media is available in bulk amounts and at considerably less than Lyman or Hornady or RCBS charge for it too.

corn cob is pretty tough stuff, dont see why it wouldnt work try a few and see,let us know how you get on,its like everything else you can garantee theres a cheaper allternative,
    DONT START

I have heard that 'Cat litter' can also be used. It sounds and looks as if it might, but I've not tried it yet !!

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    I have heard that 'Cat litter' can also be used. It sounds and looks as if it might, but I've not tried it yet !!
    I will get some and report back!

cat litter is wonderful stuff, google it
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    I have heard that 'Cat litter' can also be used.
    It can indeed: but if it has been, I wouldn't put it in a tumbler.

Actually, I'm not sure I'd even put unused cat-litter in a tumbler. AFAIK cat litter is usually a mineral of some kind, and as such I'd imagine it to be rather too abrasive.

Lizard-bedding grade crushed walnut-shell and/or corncob works for me, though.
    Last edited by Dalua; 16-06-2014 at 20:45.

I use to use untreated corn cob then switched to lyman walnut media treated with jewlers rouge which cut cleaning time in half. When it stopped working as well I was told to strip up a couple of sheets of kitchen roll and tumble that which took out all the excess dust and made it work better. I am about to add some lyman tumbler additive to revive my media you might find you need to add this to corn cob media.

Rick

I have been using untreated corn cob with a cap full of car polish added. It cleans quickly and leaves the cases bright and shiny.