Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reptiles

Reptiles

A friend of mine had an alligator show up in a small pond, and he had to shoot it. Gator season just opened, so it was good timing. It turned out to be a lot larger than he thought. Their eyes are set close together, so when he shined it up with a flashlight about midnight, and hit it with his .270, he thought it was about 5 feet. It turned out to be too big for two men to drag up onto shore after roping it... 9 feet and then some.

Here is one captured near the golf course at Hilton Head Island. Several larger ones have been killed last week. I have another photo of a big one swimming with a large whitetail deer in his mouth.

http://www.islandpacket.com/2014/06/...speaks-up.html
    Hilton Head Islander speaks up for the seized gargantuan gator

My Dad was involved in culling crocodiles in Lake Rudolf (Kenya) in the 1970s.

They would paddle out into the lake, with a .270 or .30-06 mounted on an innertube (ie. they were in the water themselves), and sneak up on crocs lazing on the surface. Shoot them between the eyes, wait for the thrashing to stop, then feel for the corpse with their feet.

Balls? Great big brass ones. Utter madness.

There is a book on it - the Eyelids of Morning, by a guy called Peter Beard. Very much worth getting hold of a copy.

In fact - Amazon actually has a picture which tells everything you need to know: Customer Image Gallery for Eyelids of Morning: Mingled Destinies of Crocodiles and Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    A friend of mine had an alligator show up in a small pond, and he had to shoot it. Gator season just opened, so it was good timing. It turned out to be a lot larger than he thought. Their eyes are set close together, so when he shined it up with a flashlight about midnight, and hit it with his .270, he thought it was about 5 feet. It turned out to be too big for two men to drag up onto shore after roping it... 9 feet and then some.

Here is one captured near the golf course at Hilton Head Island. Several larger ones have been killed last week. I have another photo of a big one swimming with a large whitetail deer in his mouth.

http://www.islandpacket.com/2014/06/...speaks-up.html
    Hilton Head Islander speaks up for the seized gargantuan gator
    Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    My Dad was involved in culling crocodiles in Lake Rudolf (Kenya) in the 1970s.

They would paddle out into the lake, with a .270 or .30-06 mounted on an innertube (ie. they were in the water themselves), and sneak up on crocs lazing on the surface. Shoot them between the eyes, wait for the thrashing to stop, then feel for the corpse with their feet.

Balls? Great big brass ones. Utter madness.

There is a book on it - the Eyelids of Morning, by a guy called Peter Beard. Very much worth getting hold of a copy.

In fact - Amazon actually has a picture which tells everything you need to know: Customer Image Gallery for Eyelids of Morning: Mingled Destinies of Crocodiles and Men.
    Awesome!

Mungo, I have a signed first edition of Eyelids of Morning, given to me as a birthday present, way back when it came out, maybe 1976.

Those are some huge crocodiles! The chapter in there about the Peace Corps worker getting eaten is something else. Beard goes after it. Is that your dad who shot it, him lying in the mud with a Winchester Express ?

I used to roam Kiawah Island, when it was wild, before it was sold and developed into a resort. It had huge alligators (14 to 17 feet), and still does. They just quietly try to suppress them, but they roam about the parking lots and lie in ambush along roads, waiting for dogs and cats. They used to come out of the swamp in the Spring, when the water was cold, and swim in the ocean, then up on the beach to sun themselves.
    Last edited by Southern; 16-06-2014 at 14:56.

Mungo, I have a signed first edition of Eyelids of Morning, given to me as a birthday present, way back when it came out, maybe 1976.
    Wow. That must be worth a bit now! Somewhere I think my mum still has some of my dad's stuff from those days, including some of the photos that he took when helping Beard on his other book (The End of the Game).

Those are some huge crocodiles! The chapter in there about the Peace Corps worker getting eaten is something else. Beard goes after it. Is that your dad who shot it, him lying in the mud with a Winchester Express ?
    Do you mean shot the croc or shot the iconic photo? In this case, I think neither. Dad was mainly just an occasional supply pilot, taking stuff back and forth up to their camp. I have to be honest and say that I'm not even completely sure he did any of the actual culling (he never let the facts get in the way of a good story).

A friend of mine here used to be a PH in Kenya back then, but fled when the communists took over and started expropriating businesses and farms for their crony friends.

He still goes back every few years for a reunion with his brother and cousin, one of whom is a gamekeeper in Tanzania, and they cull rogue buffalo, elephant, lions and crocodiles. I keep missing a chance every time. He shot a huge croc about 4 years ago, which had killed a half dozen people, and tracked and killed a bad lion about 10 years ago, as it ambushed and jumped the hunting party. Hunting a particular animal, especially a particular predator, is a real challenge.

I will get out my copy of the book. That chapter about the Peace Corps worker has Beard and another hunter doing as you say, slinking across the river on inner tubes, to stalk this croc, which is sleeping off his Do Gooder Dinner, on a sand bar.

And when my old man was growing up in Zambia in the 1950's he and friends used to go croc shooting on the Kafue with a 303s and Mannlichers. One of his good friends tells the story of how they also used to fish for crocs - hunk of Goat on a bent piece of rebar - bent into a fish hook shape, hook spliced onto a steel cable and tied to tree. Hook thrown in the water and then wait. Croc eats goat, line goes taught and crc is on the end. Way to get it out of the water is not to try and pull it out - no chance, but instead bang on the taught cable - gives the croc tooth ache and he comes charging out and then you have to shoot it.What could possibly go wrong. I cannot vouch for this story, but I did witness this same friend chase after a Hyena with a canoe paddle after it pinched the cold box full of beer. After wacking the hyena around the backside he retrieved the beer.

That's the way my brother had to kill a livestock killing croc on his property in Central America... monkey on a forged hook, with a telephone pole steel cable guy wire for line, tied to the drawbar on a tractor. Sit in the shade, build a fire, make some coffee, smoke a cigar, and wait. Angry croc comes up, gets hit with a .30-06, then dragged up on the bank.

I will get out my copy of the book. That chapter about the Peace Corps worker has Beard and another hunter doing as you say, slinking across the river on inner tubes, to stalk this croc, which is sleeping off his Do Gooder Dinner, on a sand bar.
    Let me know if it mentions the name of the other guy! Dad's name was Richard Bell.

Will do. I am out of town right now, but will pull down the book in a few days.

Here is a gator killed in Lake Moultrie in 2010 by Mara Christian. 13 ft 4 inches, 1,025 lbs.
    Attachment 43453