Thread: Partridge release pen.

Partridge release pen.

Hi,can anyone tell me what size hole is used in the wire mesh of a partridge release pen.
    Have read conflicting opinions.
    I had thought of using 1" 1/4 but is this to big ?
    Thanks.

I've used 1" mostly only problem with slightly bigger is the buggers can get thier heads stuck in when they inevitability flap about like loonies when someone or something disturbs them .It works both ways I've had it with both sizes .
    norma
    Last edited by norma 308; 18-06-2014 at 06:14.

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    I've used 1" mostly only problem with slightly bigger is the buggers can get thier heads stuck in when they inevitability flap about like loonies when someone or something disturbs them .It works both ways I've had it with both sizes .
    norma
    +1

+3
    I would also suggest if you are netting the top, keep if fairly taut.

My mate has also took to putting in a hessian baffle half way down his bigger pens to stop them flying the length of the pen and smacking the wire . I once had one pen of birds that I thought had a problem they couldn't move at all turns out they were hitting the net that hard they were paralysing them selves .
    norma

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated !

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    My mate has also took to putting in a hessian baffle half way down his bigger pens to stop them flying the length of the pen and smacking the wire . I once had one pen of birds that I thought had a problem they couldn't move at all turns out they were hitting the net that hard they were paralysing them selves .
    norma

Good point norma. Really anything over 20ish ft long ur as well having some sort of baffle, shade cloth, hessian etc, nd as someone else said put the roof net fairly tight so they bounce off it