Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a question for the ballistitians

a question for the ballistitians

I ran a few 6.5 06 loads frew my chrony yesterday, first test was 130gr vld on a clean barrel,1st shot cold bore was 2819fps,2nd shot 2893fps,3rd 2918fps,4th 2922,5th 2923fps, the velocity settled, Is this the norm for a cold bore shot, I did notice this last chrony session
    Last edited by swarovski; 16-06-2014 at 16:56.

My normal load with the 130gr vld is 50.5grs of h4831sc, I think theyre probaly on there limit even though theyve one holed several times now, I thought I would try a few half a grain less and check velocities,I tried my normal load at 400yds last weekend, fired 2x2 shot groups, both 1.5 inches, elevation differences was sub inch, whatever that cold bore shot is doing it aint much out to 400yds.
    Last edited by swarovski; 16-06-2014 at 19:07.

Some rifles shoot their first shot fast and some shoot their first shot slow. One of my rifles is consistently slower on cold clean bore shot one, the other is faster. When I Googled this question I found some interesting stuff.

Regards

JCS

If the first shot was through a clean barrel this would be normal and the cause of the slower velocity.

After some searching it probaly was the clean barrel, once 2 fouling shots had gone frew it was up to speed.

how accuratly did you weigh your powder?

cold bore shots can be slower as preceding shots will become faster in a warm/warmer barrell
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Weighed as accurate as possible, the bore was clean clean clean, used truely remarkable bore cleaner, it is what it sez on the tin,think bore needed a couple fouling shots spud, am curious to see what its going to be next time, am wondering if it makes a difference if the rifle is in the sun because the barrel is hot before firing, not such a so say cold nore shot, when I shoot it at 1000yds I put it in the shade before I shoot when its hot and after to cool it down.
    Last edited by swarovski; 17-06-2014 at 16:10.

SD Regular
    It can and does make a differenece if the cases are in the sun and get very warm. But the difference if nearly sixty or seventy fps on that first shot. I'd more suspect that you read the readout wrong and the LCD was playing up...that it should have been 2919 and not 2819.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    It can and does make a differenece if the cases are in the sun and get very warm. But the difference if nearly sixty or seventy fps on that first shot. I'd more suspect that you read the readout wrong and the LCD was playing up...that it should have been 2919 and not 2819.
    +1. When working up loads I use an infra red thermometer to ensure I have records of ammo/powder temperature to compare with results from summer to winter.

For those of us that like to go into some depth with our stalking rifle reloading it is a kind of compromise I think. To add to the above, Ive read many long distance shooters season there barrel and allow a controlled build up of copper. This also effects velocities of course.