Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Royal Mail recorded delivery ???

Royal Mail recorded delivery ???

Hi Gents
    recieved my fac back last week after variation there was a very obvious error there so phoned my FLD and they said send it back and we'll sort it
    upon getting to the post office yesterday I asked for recorded delivery to be told " we don't do that anymore?!? " apparently Royal Mail have done away with recorded delivery and all you can get is signed for or special delivery .... The thing is signed for doesn't have a tracking number ( don't trust the FLD without having a tracking no ) and special delivery was 6.50 for a letter!!

Would you you send your fac off signed for but with no tracking number ? 6.50 seems a right rip off
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

I send it off "signed for" with a little prayer!

It comes back in normal letter post, so stop worrying.
    Cheers Ted.

SACS Member. DSC 1.

Quote Originally Posted by tedster View Post
    I send it off "signed for" with a little prayer!

It comes back in normal letter post, so stop worrying.
    Aye I know what your saying but my FLD ain't the best :/ I just don't trust them not to lose it then blame me......

YOU POST IT!?!?!?

never
    I drive into town and hand it over, get a receipt or stand there strumming fingers on the desk while it is done!

the bloody post have lost a cap to a die I sent, so now I have half a die and Kranks wont take it back as it is incomplete!
    useless motherfunsters!!

Tracking code is on recipt

Track your item | Royal Mail Group Ltd
    The only opportunities you will ever get are while you are on the green side of the grass.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayduster View Post
    Tracking code is on recipt

Track your item | Royal Mail Group Ltd
    Yes it is on special delivery but it's 6.50 the signed for doesn't have a tracking no

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    YOU POST IT!?!?!?

never
    I drive into town and hand it over, get a receipt or stand there strumming fingers on the desk while it is done!

the bloody post have lost a cap to a die I sent, so now I have half a die and Kranks wont take it back as it is incomplete!
    useless motherfunsters!!
    6-8 weeks for a variation here ED so I'd die of starvation if I waited at the desk!

its a farce one ste of my fac and sgcs are in belfast in dead letter grave yard lost in post 18mths ago no chance of getting them back,i live in g/m i could have delevered by hand in a cple hours,bloody expensive and crap, ra nt over
    DONT START

SD Regular
    Recorded Delivery, now known as "Royal Mail Signed For" was NEVER tracked at any time that the service has been and is still offered.

The items have always and still do travel in the normal mail with all the other letters and packets and a signature upon delivery is all that is obtained. That is all. No tracking, no special handling. The service essentially is to give an assured proof of posting with a reference number and an assured proof of receipt at the destination address only and not to any specific named individual at that address.

So BEWARE when sending items by "Signed For" to a works or business address as there is no guarantee that once it has arrived at that address that it has then been passed on to the actual individual it is addressed to.

Special Delivery is the former Registered Letter service and that is and always has been "tracked" in that it had to be signed for when it passed from the local post office, to the person collecting the mail, to the soring office, to the local mail office, to the postman or postwoman who then delivered it and, finally, to the address on the letter but not to the individual named on that address.

So this Special Delivery, the former Registered Post has always had the ability to check and see who was the last person that signed for it. As in the old bon mots "by hand of messenger at all stages". So it was always signed for by the person taking it on from the previous person that handled it as it was transferred through the Royal Mail.

True online "trackable" delivery is such as DHL where at any stage you can track where an item is. Thus when I use this to my wife in Nigeria I can in real time see if it is still in UK, at the air facility in East Midlands Airport, in Frankfurt, arrived in Lagos, Nigeria and if it has or has not passed Nigerian Customs, and if it is then out of Lagos and down to Benin City. With again, finally, delivery to the address but NOT to the named individual.

Hope this helps. If you check online with Royal Mail for "Signed For" you will be told that the thing was posted at such and such post office, then that it is in the mail system, finally that it has been delivered. But it will not tell you anything more. And it never did have anymore "trackability" than that for the reasons posted in the paragraphs earlier.

But that proof that the Royal Mail have accepted it at a post office is enough, in law, to cover you, the sender, for your obligation to any safe custody of the documents or to have notified any acquisition or disposal. Not the wording of the law is "must send by XXXX within seven days" and that is all. In British law, in many legal cases, evidence of posting is deemed as evidence of delivery.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 17-06-2014 at 10:03.

I usually get home to find "signed for" letters waiting on the doormat for me. Sometimes with a cryptic "signed for by Postie" written on them. Still, nothing's been lost so far, and it does save me a trip to the local sorting office.