Thread: New respect for charlie...

New respect for charlie...

Whilst out lamping last night on my local estate i experienced some thing that left me in awe of charles cunning and down right bravery.... We were on the back of the gun bus, me on the lamp and the keeper armed with his .243 in a field of sheep and this years lambs. We have seen and shot foxes in this field before, theres an earth down in the bottom corner that some foxes have legged it for in the past when lit by the lamp.Last night we saw against the far hedge an adult and two very young cubs moving up the field, as the lamp lit them the adult turned and with the cubs in tow legged it for the safety of the earth some 70ish yards away.They hadn't gone far when the adult stopped and looked right at the lamp while the two cubs carried on and under cover of darkness made it to the earth.I had kept the lamp on the eyes and the keeper despatched it with a clean shot to the chest....It turned out to be a dog fox and having thought the whole situation through in my mind several times i have come to the conclusion that the dog fox knew what the lamp meant and stopped to draw any fire that followed away from the cubs to give them time to get away...I know that foxes do stop for a look back when running away and many have fallen for this reason. This situation felt very different and im sure the adult stopped to save its young from harm...Its left me with a new respect for charles and very humbled to have witnessed such an act...Hugh.
    Last edited by parkyboy; 17-06-2014 at 11:20.

It's no bad thing to have respect for them, Hugh! Paul and I once watched a vixen being chased by a Jack Russell in broad daylight - the fox stayed about two feet ahead of the dog, and gradually led it away from where her cubs were laid up in some corn. Every now and then she gave a strange warning shout - obviously telling them to stay put. Whenever the dog tired and slowed down, she stopped and taunted it from a few feet away until it staggered to its feet and gave chase again. After about twenty minutes, the farmer realised what was going on and drove over in his 4x4 - the fox took once look at the approaching vehicle, engaged her afterburner, and disappeared over the horizon, which she could clearly have done at any moment up until then.

Ive always had a respect for their ability to,despite my best efforts,make me look a complete numpty, but this has taken it to a whole new level....Hugh.

nice to read comments like what parky and paddy have posted shows true countrymen who take note of whats going on and admit respect rather than the brigade of hoot toots who wander around the country blasting every thing in range just for the hell of it

I saw an old dog getting mobbed and harassed by crows yesterday, made me chuckle. I see it happening to buzzards, but I'd never seen it with a fox before
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Quote Originally Posted by d foxxer View Post
    nice to read comments like what parky and paddy have posted shows true countrymen who take note of whats going on and admit respect rather than the brigade of hoot toots who wander around the country blasting every thing in range just for the hell of it
    + 1 couldn't agree more
    regards pete

many years ago in Co Antrim, the dog and I put up a fox. The dog chased it and lost it and the fox came back and stood on a hillock. I put the dog on the lead and jogged after the fox (I was young) The fox kept running off and coming back for us. It was obvious to me even then that it was taking us away from cubs

Quote Originally Posted by Roedinator View Post
    + 1 couldn't agree more
    regards pete
    Thank you for your comments Pete and d foxxer, to be called a countryman i take as a great compliment....Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by d foxxer View Post
    true mate, some people are shooting foxes for no reason what so ever....