Florida in February........what is there to do/shooting etc

deerstalker.308

Apart from hitting the big name hunting/shooting shops, can anyone recommend shooting activities, or direct me to any good websites agents etc, planning in advance so there's time to save a few quid.....
any thoughts/advice on alligator hunting? White tail? Costs, pitfalls to avoid, anything would be helpful....
I'm probably not too fussed about big game fishing, not got the best sea legs for that!

There are quite a few shooting ranges where for a few $'s you can try all sorts of handguns etc etc. Some of them are in rather 'dodgy' areas so do a bit of homework. But good fun and value for money.

ATB

T

Spent a few years in Florida - that's certainly right that most of the ranges are in rough areas - though realistically it's probably OK during the day, I just wouldn't hang around the area thereafter.

As for boar hunting, much of it is done on relatively small pieces of land, out of swamp buggies. I've done it once, and while it was OK (and the meat wasn't bad) I probably won't do it again. It's a good test of shooting on moving targets...but that's about it. The place I went with was honest enough about it, one day will be all you'll need unless you're looking to take loads of them, and any meat you don't take goes to feeding gators (at least at the place I shot at).

There are quite a few shooting ranges where for a few $'s you can try all sorts of handguns etc etc. Some of them are in rather 'dodgy' areas so do a bit of homework. But good fun and value for money.

ATB

T

Last edited:

This may help..but be aware and I'll happily be put right...that as a non-resident alien and do not have some sort of US state issued hunting licence you might be breaking the law using some sorts of weapons on some sorts of ranges I think. RESEARCH THIS AS THE LAW NOW IS NOT WHAT IT WAS TEN OR TWENTY YEARS AGO....SINCE 9/11 NON-RESIDENT ALIENS AND WEAPONS IS A HOT ISSUE! BE AWARE!

See this but check if this is still the current case:

[FONT=verdana, arial, sans-serif]Click down to the section on NONIMMIGRANT ALIENS here: [/FONT]https://www.atf.gov/faq-page and specifically: May a nonimmigrant alien who has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant alien visa purchase or possess a firearm in the U.S. ? | ATF

Last edited:
This may help..but be aware and I'll happily be put right...that as a non-resident alien and do not have some sort of US state issued hunting licence you might be breaking the law using some sorts of weapons on some sorts of ranges I think. RESEARCH THIS AS THE LAW NOW IS NOT WHAT IT WAS TEN OR TWENTY YEARS AGO....SINCE 9/11 NON-RESIDENT ALIENS AND WEAPONS IS A HOT ISSUE! BE AWARE!

See this but check if this is still the current case:

Click down to the section on NONIMMIGRANT ALIENS here: https://www.atf.gov/faq-page and specifically: May a nonimmigrant alien who has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant alien visa purchase or possess a firearm in the U.S. ? | ATF

Enfielspares,

I do think that a visit to Specsavers might be in order ;)

The reference you directed us all to states "not prohibited" on the first line.

Walk into a bait shop, buy a hunting licence and you're covered ;). You really can shoot on a commercial range, part of your fee covers your local paperwork. The USA isn't locked down with regard to commercial shooting business, or hunting with your open rifle.

It is actually very easy to purchase a firearm (in some States) as an Alien, it's just the problem of getting it out of the Country.

Stan

Hogs are considered livestock in FL, so unless you are on state ground, they are property of the landowner and me be culled as they see fit, no license required. The gator hunts are anything from very boring (checking baited hook lines, and pulling up one and shooting it ) to so so (blinds and waiting to head shoot one) to airboats and such.

Depends on where in Florida you will be, but fishing can be decent from the middle of the state down to the keys. You could also look at making a drive north to Georgia and doing one of the semi-auto, Night Vision, hog hunts. Pricey but very fun. I think there are also a few large shooting preserves with lots of Axis deer.

What part of Florida? The state is over 800 miles long, end to end, so the climate varies.

Do you like freshwater fishing? How about sal****er? Inshore or offshore?

There are other neat things to do, too, like dig for fossils in old mine pits. There are lots of nice, quiet beaches and fishing holes away from the tourist hotspots.

Follow up to my post.

Brady Ranch (now has new owners) has axis and blackbuck hunts for about £1700. Jagerpro.com up in Georgia has night vision unlimited hog hunts.

in February you can often find some inshore sal****er fishing (the sea trout in Tampa Bay hole up in warm springs) that is easy on the fisherman.

Andy,

When i was out there on holiday many years ago, my father and I went deep sea fishing on a carter boat. It was great fun and everyone caught a lot of fish - including a blue shark landed by one individual. It would be worth considering as a cheaper alternative..

Tom

Back