Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kelly Kettle... Thoughts?

Kelly Kettle... Thoughts?

UPDATE:
    My Stainless 1.5L Base Camp and full kit has just been marked as Dispatched by Kelly Kettle...

Reduced price of £58.95 seems like a pretty good price as there's nothing more to buy!

Thanks all
    iain

************************************************** ************************************************** *********

I'm looking at investing in a Kelly Kettle, so just wanted some feedback - positive/negative...

Are they as good as they're cracked up to be, as I'm struggling to find reasons not to buy one?

Ta
    iain
    Last edited by I. Farticus; 18-06-2014 at 11:01.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

They must be good as you don't see them for sale second hand very much.
    I have always fancied one but I am reluctant to spend out on one (too mean, I suppose!)

I've used them for many years.

Firstly, as what we called "the iggari" which was knocked together by REME from available scrap and latterly as a commercially bought Kelly.

To a device, they will surprise you by the speed at which they boil water and at the economy in fuel.

Bloody brilliant kit.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

Got one. They are very good at what they are designed to do, boil water. You can get the kits for "cooking" on them but don't bother. They will boil water rapidly but you can buy a cheap stove and lots and lots of gas for what they cost and the stove will be lighter and more usable all year around. They are very therapeutic though!

Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    I'm looking at investing in a Kelly Kettle, so just wanted some feedback - positive/negative...

Are they as good as they're cracked up to be, as I'm struggling to find reasons not to buy one?

Ta
    iain
    .243 Weatherby Vanguard Synth /.223 BRNO CZ527 Synthetic
    .22LR CZ 455 Synth / 12G Stoeger 2000 / 12G U/O Bettinsoli
    12G Zoli SBS / .410 unknown Italian

Don't light them without water in! Especially the ally one

Very good, use mine during sea kayaking expeditions due to minimal weight and ease of transporting across borders (no need to carry fuel). Mine is pretty battered, but keeps going .

They boil water thats about it

They are bulky and messy to carry ie you cant put stuff in it to pack not even water in most as the lid isnt sealed you can stuff things in the chimney but its covered in soot/tar

they work well in the much larger (5-10 ltr) form as a camp Hot water boiler on all day

I use a home made Hobo set up based on a 12cm Zebra billy pretty much takes up no space as it all fits together and the Pot is packed with the brew kit stuff and i can cook in it even Bake Bagels or pizza

all depends on what you want or Imagine you want to do with it

Quote Originally Posted by FGYT View Post
    They boil water thats about it

They are bulky and messy to carry ie you cant put stuff in it to pack not even water in most as the lid isnt sealed you can stuff things in the chimney but its covered in soot/tar

they work well in the much larger (5-10 ltr) form as a camp Hot water boiler on all day

I use a home made Hobo set up based on a 12cm Zebra billy pretty much takes up no space as it all fits together and the Pot is packed with the brew kit stuff and i can cook in it even Bake Bagels or pizza

all depends on what you want or Imagine you want to do with it
    Stop trying to sneek in 'schrafting FGYT
    .243 Weatherby Vanguard Synth /.223 BRNO CZ527 Synthetic
    .22LR CZ 455 Synth / 12G Stoeger 2000 / 12G U/O Bettinsoli
    12G Zoli SBS / .410 unknown Italian

I have one. It's great if you have a good supply of bone dry kindling. Less good if you have to forage for sticks in the woods.

I got a Jetboil ~18 months ago and haven't used the Kelly Kettle since!

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I've got one and like it. Like many things it does a job that can be done in any of several ways.

Its SD, so naturally any minute now there's going to be a fight over whose specific set up boils 10,000 gallons fastest etc

Key for me, is stopping for a hot drink is an excuse to take a break. Its the act of making the drink that is almost as important as the drink itself - else just get a really good flask. The Kelly makes a grand 'job' of the whole process. Clients love it. I think of it as a 'kit kat' moment.

I've a relationship with and got mine from - Bushcraft, outdoor survival gear and jack links beef jerky by World of Survival UK
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017