Kelly Kettle... Thoughts?

Appealing in theory, pain in the ass in practice.

MSR Pocket rocket or Jetboil are the way forward.

I'm usually too cold, hungry and wet to appreciate the old world charms of things like kelly kettles. I want my brew and bacon NOW.

I once gave up on a friend tinkering with his kettle, drove to the nearest farm shop, got bacon butties and coffee, and was back while he was still prodding a soggy mess of damp twigs.

Now, I have various stoves, jet boil, multi fuel etc etc. If you want a good experience make a rocket stove and add some nails.

Get a dry log, species doesn't matter but any of the pines work really well. Square the ends so it will stand up. Drill a 2" vertical hole in the centre in the end about 2/3 of the length of the log. Drill the same size hole in the horizontal section to meet where the vertical shaft ends. Bang some non galvanised nails around the first hole to act as a pan stand. You can always drive them deeper if required.

place small twigs in the horizontal chamber, this is he fire place. The flames will be drawn up the flue and slowly burn the flue creating more heat. It will roar hence rocket stove.

Now, I have various stoves, jet boil, multi fuel etc etc. If you want a good experience make a rocket stove and add some nails.

Get a dry log, species doesn't matter but any of the pines work really well. Square the ends so it will stand up. Drill a 2" vertical hole in the centre in the end about 2/3 of the length of the log. Drill the same size hole in the horizontal section to meet where the vertical shaft ends. Bang some non galvanised nails around the first hole to act as a pan stand. You can always drive them deeper if required.

place small twigs in the horizontal chamber, this is he fire place. The flames will be drawn up the flue and slowly burn the flue creating more heat. It will roar hence rocket stove.

which is easier to carry , a Kelly kettle or a chainsaw and wood drill with a 2" bit? (this is getting silly now)

I have one, purchased it years ago in Ireland on a whim. Still stands on shelf unused. Much better an quicker ways to heat water and lot less bulky.

so you are carrying a log ready to go instead ? sounds much easier :cuckoo:

The OP was looking for feedback. As I'm outside most of the time it wouldn't be the first choice for me, as I said there are lots of alternatives but cooking on a rocket stove is an experience with a raw flame. You could carry it or you could get it out of your car and light it next to the car.

Love mine for days working down in my woodland. Stream runs through it so water is always there, fuel is sitting around waiting for me to pick it up. I keep a few bits of firelighter in the bottom of the kettle and some scraps of paper. If it's been wet I take a few bits of dry kindling from the bin by the fire before I go down there for the day.

Love sitting there between jobs listening to the birds and wildlife with the fire crackling gently in the background while I wait for the water to boil. just a lovely experience to sit gently in the woods drinking tea.

Love mine for days working down in my woodland. Stream runs through it so water is always there, fuel is sitting around waiting for me to pick it up. I keep a few bits of firelighter in the bottom of the kettle and some scraps of paper. If it's been wet I take a few bits of dry kindling from the bin by the fire before I go down there for the day.

Love sitting there between jobs listening to the birds and wildlife with the fire crackling gently in the background while I wait for the water to boil. just a lovely experience to sit gently in the woods drinking tea.

Made me :cry:

:thumb:
K

The OP was looking for feedback. As I'm outside most of the time it wouldn't be the first choice for me, as I said there are lots of alternatives but cooking on a rocket stove is an experience with a raw flame. You could carry it or you could get it out of your car and light it next to the car.

well , yes ?

I have used both that and the log with a cross cut in it and whilst it is an 'experience' it's not the most practical solution to heat water especially if your vehicle based.

well , yes ?

I have used both that and the log with a cross cut in it and whilst it is an 'experience' it's not the most practical solution to heat water especially if your vehicle based.

I agree, not the most practical solution but they are fun. The Swedish candle you mentioned will burn for hours. Very good at the BBQ etc.

You can sometimes get "Swedish candles" (the Finns claim they invented it first) at garden centres like Dobbies. Fun if you have kids and don't have the chainsaw or time etc

Back