Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing a stock on 308

Changing a stock on 308

Hi I have a sako varmint stainless laminate 308. It is a great rifle but heavy. Was thinking of putting a new stock probably a McMillan on it. Would that make it much lighter? The McMillan are supposed to be 2-2.5lb but not sure how heavy the laminate stock on the sako is.

Any my help very welcome.

BE

Have you looked at PSE composites they are solid and light from what I understand

Thanks will contact them. But not sure if they do sako actions.

Quote Originally Posted by big ears View Post
    Hi I have a sako varmint stainless laminate 308. It is a great rifle but heavy. Was thinking of putting a new stock probably a McMillan on it. Would that make it much lighter? The McMillan are supposed to be 2-2.5lb but not sure how heavy the laminate stock on the sako is.

Any my help very welcome.

BE
    Ok, I'll be honest with you. laminate to synthetic..you're throwing good money out of the window. Get an original sako varmint wooden stock and have it full length glass bedded and pillar bedded. unless you particularly do not like the 'wood' look of course.

same with an original sako synthetic varmint stock, they're 'ok', but have it stabilised and full length bedded + pillared and you're into equivalent mcmillan territory for say 200 max...AND with a LOT less weight.

if this is a stalking rifle, ok, you probably shouldn't have bothered with a varmint barrel, but say you're going to keep it...then nothing wrong with the above two ideas, but in a standard Hunter stock (non varmint) in which you have the barrel channel opened up to accept the larger diameter barrel. you may also wish to cut the barrel down to around 22" if it isn't already (or less).

you've got a lot of options here, not all that costly, think outside of the box.

i would put it in a edge technology mcmillan have it pillar bedded job done.. pay once not a few times.

regards chris

Looked at this but would need action to be sent to US so thought this a bit risky.

Quote Originally Posted by big ears View Post
    Looked at this but would need action to be sent to US so thought this a bit risky.
    well sending the action to the US for fitting is a no-go irrespective unless you want to re-mortgage to have a new stock...c

big ears...what is the actual purpose of your rifle, varminting, stalking, etc. ie. what do you use it for, what would you like it to do?

It's used as a stalking rifle. I mainly stalk woodlands so it is not too much of an issue. It has a 20" barrel and I've fitted a light mod. I am wanting to see if I can further lighten it without affecting its great accuracy as would like to take it to Scotland in the future. It's a great rifle and shoots really well and I am reluctant to get rid of it. The other complicating issue is I shoot lefty but am right handed so the palm swell on the sako affects the grip slightly so looking for an ambidextrous stock with a right hand bolt.

Big Ears - Is your rifle too heavy , or just badly balanced?
    Lightening your stock, either by swapping it or removing material will probably unbalance the rifle. Heavy barrels need heavy stocks to maintain good balance. A way of improving the balance / feel of a set up is to use a smaller, lighter scope & mount it close to the barrel. A bipod also ruins the balance of rifle, making it unwieldy.
    There are ways of remodelling the palm grip using resin putty - that is an option to improve the feel & fit but it ususally leaves the rifle looking ugly.
    Personal fitness is also a thing to consider. A bit of regular light weight training may help. - If you are stronger, your rifle will feel lighter & you'll shoot better.

I used to shoot muzzle loading target rifles with long heavy barrels (39" and longer) & like others before me, I added weight to the bottom rear of the but stock to balance the beast. 19mm copper pipe 4" long with lead cast into it, fitted solidly in a hole drilled into the wood under the but pad. This also had the effect of reducing perceived recoil.

Ian

Thanks Ian,
    That is food for thought. My main reason for posing this thread is whether it was worth changing the stock so to make the rifle lighter if taking it out on Scottish hills all day. All of my stalking at present is woodland so short range shots are the norm. I am very happy with the rifle as is and realised the weight when I bought it. The pay off is the excellent accuracy which gives confidence when taking shots. The main benefit I now perceive is the change in the grip but again this is only a small issue. As to fitness I'll add that to my triathlon training session!!
    I think after all has been said that a slightly aching shoulder at the end of the day is a small price to pay rather than risking upsetting the balance of a great rifle.

BE