Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: waterproofing advice

  1. #1

    waterproofing advice

    here goes ,

    I was stalking on Saturday and got caught out in torrential rain that carried on for hours, my scope and rifle took a fair soaking (thankfully ) with no lasting effect as far as can see,

    Is there anyway I can waterproof the rifle more ( especially the scope ) for such ocassions ????

  2. #2
    Don't stress over the scope, it's water tight as long as it's still nitrogen purged. The rifle could be coated which weatherproofs it from the elements.

  3. #3
    see i dried off and oil coated the rifle after use but I took it out on Monday as was away Sunday and the scope had what looked like on the objective end a mist spot, granted once scope warmed up a bit in the sun it completely cleared but I was a little worried that it got a little water damage from Saturdays expedition..

  4. #4
    If your metal is finished in a polished blue, you can wax all the metal with Johnson's Paste Wax, which you can later easily remove. It is a furniture wax for wood, but is very waterproof. If your stock is wood, water will spot many finishes, but that can be rubbed out. I would not intentionally take a wood stock with any kind of oil finish out in the rain, unless it was one set up for that purpose. The finish on a Remington 700 is very tough and waterproof, but you have to seal the barrel channel, action inletting, and butt with a polyurethane like the exterior finish. To keep water from pouring in there, I would run some removable camo bow tape down both sides where the metal meets the wood.

    One of those pullover neoprene scope covers works well for keeping it all dry until you need it. Leupold, Burris and Allen sell them.
    Last edited by Southern; 18-06-2014 at 18:10.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulloch View Post
    see i dried off and oil coated the rifle after use but I took it out on Monday as was away Sunday and the scope had what looked like on the objective end a mist spot, granted once scope warmed up a bit in the sun it completely cleared but I was a little worried that it got a little water damage from Saturdays expedition..
    What scope and how old?

  6. #6
    i have a Kahles helia s ,, it was second hand when i got it so I am presuming a few years atleast

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    If your metal is finished in a polished blue, you can wax all the metal with Johnson's Paste Wax, which you can later easily remove. It is a furniture wax for wood, but is very waterproof. If your stock is wood, water will spot many finishes, but that can be rubbed out. I would not intentionally take a wood stock with any kind of oil finish out in the rain, unless it was one set up for that purpose. The finish on a Remington 700 is very tough and waterproof, but you have to seal the barrel channel, action inletting, and butt with a polyurethane like the exterior finish. To keep water from pouring in there, I would run some removable camo bow tape down both sides where the metal meets the wood.

    One of those pullover neoprene scope covers works well for keeping it all dry until you need it. Leupold, Burris and Allen sell them.
    I have a Browning A-Bolt rifle .

  8. #8
    i got one of these not often it gets used but packs very small and surprisingly useful keeping horrible stuff away from rifle during the worst weather and on gator which seems to fling mud everywhere


    Gunslicker Gun Cover : 322785

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by gr1ffer View Post
    i got one of these not often it gets used but packs very small and surprisingly useful keeping horrible stuff away from rifle during the worst weather and on gator which seems to fling mud everywhere


    Gunslicker Gun Cover : 322785
    that looks good, is it awkward to remove rifle to take a shot though ???

  10. #10
    a little mate its not ideal for getting off undetected but easier than taking out of a slip. i usually chuck it on when transiting on gator or quad it keeps mud off rifle a treat

Similar Threads

  1. Best leather boot waterproofing
    By tikka2506 in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 29-03-2015, 02:38
  2. Harkila Pro Hunter trousers need re waterproofing
    By Radar_UK in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-02-2014, 17:33
  3. snow smock waterproofing....
    By fangler in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22-10-2013, 15:32
  4. Waterproofing fox callers.
    By Rack in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-09-2013, 09:43
  5. waterproofing floors/walls etc for butchering
    By david1976 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-03-2011, 22:24

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •