Thread: Hard To Read Proof Code, Any Experts?

Hard To Read Proof Code, Any Experts?

Hi All,

Yes I have seen the Proof Code Thread that's stickied here, but I can't see anything that looks like the stamps on this barrel.

I've attached a couple of photos, they're not great but to honest nor are the stamps.

They're off a Parker Hale 1200, it's got a varnished finish (unfortunately) if that helps anyone date it.

Many thanks as always,

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails .270 Proof #1.jpg   .270 Proof #2.jpg  

Birmingham proof marks (which you would expect on a PH). The Circular mark denotes the year and the inspector's ID. If I had time (and the photo was a bit clearer) I culd try to date it for you.

-JMS

Thanks JMS,

It's the year that I was after.

The stamp isn't clear at all. It looks like a circle divided into 3 equal segments. Two of them, top left and top right in the photo look to have the same symbol in them, possibly an S or a 5. The third segment is different but is imposable to make out.

If the top marks were S's then that would be 1991 I believe which must be in the ball park but I don't know if they'd have printed it twice.

Thanks again,

Jim

The circular stamp was used from 1975 to 1984. The letters at the top will be from A to K, I was not used, followed by a B. A variation is that CB could be written BC.
    Looks as though it is EB, 1979 but difficult to tell.

Hi All,

Having looked again it's BB which is 1976 apparently, so older than I thought and pretty amazing that by the looks of the barrel and action it's had no more than a handful of rounds through it if any.

thanks for the help and advice,

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim xyz View Post
    Hi All,

Yes I have seen the Proof Code Thread that's stickied here, but I can't see anything that looks like the stamps on this barrel.

I've attached a couple of photos, they're not great but to honest nor are the stamps.

They're off a Parker Hale 1200, it's got a varnished finish (unfortunately) if that helps anyone date it.

Many thanks as always,

Jim
    Parker-Hale offered the high Gloss poly finish and traditional Oiled finish. The High Gloss was seen as more popular in the US which also explained the California styling.