Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sako A2

sako A2

What do you guys think of the sako a2 hunter and how much is a good price please

I bought a Sako AII in .308 about five years ago. It is a lovely thing.

However, it wasn't young even then, and the previous owner was not much into cleaning the barrel; as I found when the groups ceased to exist after a couple of years.
    Lesson 1: should have had it borescoped by a competent person before purchase.

As I say, a lovely thing. So off to Sako for a rebarrel. Reasonable price but 18months taken to do it. Also barrel not the same profile as the old one, hence it missed the forend pressure-points by a narrow enough fraction to cause consitency problems. At least it is honestly stamped 'Sako' at the chamber-end, though
    Lesson 2: perhaps better to get a competent local person to do it.

Anyhow, hearing them to be of good report, off to Rhino Rifles in Northwich. A week later, threaded, free-floated, bedded, and trigger cleaned and adjusted. A sterling performance!

It did good work with GECO 170gr at the hinds a week or two ago, and continues to be my proper (i.e. blue and brown) stalking rifle. No intention of getting rid of it.

The above is actually meant to be a recommendation: It should be read as a cautionary tale rather than a series of disasters!

As to price, I've no idea. I guess it depends on condition, but guntrader might give a clue.

Re: sako A2

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S
    What do you guys think of the sako a2 hunter and how much is a good price please
    Classic action, nice lightweight stalking rifle.
    Slender stock, I prefer the floor plate design to a magazine as well.
    Price is what you will pay. and depends on condition 3-500?
    there is a rough looking one for 300 on GT others go for more.

18 months for a rebarrel, You must have a lot of patience.

Quote Originally Posted by jack
    Not so much patience, but I did have a realistic view of what I could do about it (i.e. damn all, apparently) and, more importantly, another rifle to use in the mean time.

We have five off these for more than twenty years and have never had any problems, we have shot two barrels out stalking and had them rebarreled but would never swap them for anything and they are still out every week. ours may be bumped and bashed, and going silver on the barrels but they aren t many rifles that have shot 6 thousand plus deer between them

rgds

222cwd

Quote Originally Posted by 222cwd
    ours may be bumped and bashed, and going silver on the barrels but they aren t many rifles that have shot 6 thousand plus deer between them
    "Silver on the barrels" Yes I can vouch for that, when we were stalking together the other week remember I thought you had had it re-barreled with a stainless one.

ATB

Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jack
    18 months? Just had a Sako Forester rebarreled by Rhino Rifles with a Pac-Nor barrel and had it back in my paws in a matter of a few weeks..would have been even quicker if i had been able to pick it up.

The older Sakos are the best. I used to collect L579s of the Bofors steel era.

My current one is from 1968.

Also have one of those bofors L579's in 308. We bought it second hand in 71 or so. Maybe the barrel was shot out because it was a horrible shooter. I had it rebarreled a few years ago, since then its a beauty. The action is very similar to a howa but is a bit lighter.
    edi

cant find much info about the a2 on the net does it go by another name?also can anyone tell me if it has a cheak piece on the stock?
    ive found one in 243 has a few bumps and scraps but its srewcut and its 400 and at the end of the day its a sako so i thought that was an ok price.
    Gave up on trying to find a cheap gun in 6.5x55 they dont exist.so its easier to change calibre

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S
    cant find much info about the a2 on the net does it go by another name?also can anyone tell me if it has a cheak piece on the stock?
    ive found one in 243 has a few bumps and scraps but its srewcut and its 400 and at the end of the day its a sako so i thought that was an ok price.
    Gave up on trying to find a cheap gun in 6.5x55 they dont exist.so its easier to change calibre
    They were first made in 1957 and called the L579. In the mid 80's they renamed them as A2 (action 2) Essentially the same gun with minor changes.
    The manual is on the sako web site.

If you want to familiarise yourself look on http://sakocollectors.lefora.com/headlines/
    Look in the photos section for comparisons with yours.