Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steyr pro hunter trigger

Steyr pro hunter trigger

I have a steyr manlicher pro hunter and finding the trigger very heavy, set trigger way too light
    can anyone advice me on how to alter these settings or is it possible a gunsmith to play with the steyr trigger system or can I get a custom trigger fitted to this gun by anyone?
    thanks Steve

I assume you have the single set trigger, which you set by pushing it forward?

The manual... how to adjust the trigger.

http://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/file...PROVARMINT.pdf

It is such a good trigger, that I cannot imagine anyone wanting to replace it, and with what?

Mine came from the factory at 4.2 lbs and I adjusted it to 3 lbs. Lighter than that on a hunting rifle is of no value to me, and less safe. My personal opinion is that too many people go to a very light trigger, rather than learning trigger control of a 3 to 5 lb trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    I assume you have the single set trigger, which you set by pushing it forward?

The manual... how to adjust the trigger.

http://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/file...PROVARMINT.pdf

It is such a good trigger, that I cannot imagine anyone wanting to replace it, and with what?

Mine came from the factory at 4.2 lbs and I adjusted it to 3 lbs. Lighter than that on a hunting rifle is of no value to me, and less safe. My personal opinion is that too many people go to a very light trigger, rather than learning trigger control of a 3 to 5 lb trigger.
    thanks for the reply I have since read the manual and adjusted the single set trigger either way and it's made no difference lighter or heavier on the set trigger
    I always thought the optimal setting for trigger pull is about 2.5lb true or false? I just know that this is way heavier than my sako which is adjusted to perfection.

I actually like all kinds of triggers, even two stage 5 lb military ones. 2.5 to 3.0 is light enough, especially in the cold, when you are wearing gloves or your hands are frozen. The Steyr PH should adjust from about 2.2 to 4.8, if I remember.

Never touched any of my steyr triggers but I seem to remember adjustment works either way ...making set tigger heavier makes normal lighter and vice verser,probably wrong but give it a go I only use the set on paper
    norma

Quote Originally Posted by Ste B View Post
    I have a steyr manlicher pro hunter and finding the trigger very heavy, set trigger way too light
    can anyone advice me on how to alter these settings or is it possible a gunsmith to play with the steyr trigger system or can I get a custom trigger fitted to this gun by anyone?
    thanks Steve
    I have the same Pro Hunter in 308 and love it although the set trigger originally had a shotgun pull weight in first position and a ridiculous 4 oz in second!! Adjusting it in line with the pdf that Southern attached should easily achieve second stage at little over a pound which I have found perfect. Be careful adjusting it though as there is a fine line and too far will just lock it up.

Persevere with it as overall it is a very well built rifle.

Iain

It is possible to get a trigger for the Pro-Hunter that doesn't have a set trigger. My 260 Rem came new from the factory with just a std trigger. Regards JCS

Hi
    There are two stage triggers available for Prohunters but normally only supplied with the tactical models. They are fully adjustable for first and second stage length of pull and weight and I have mine set at 2 pounds. They transform the gun, can be adjusted without removing the stock and are are comparible with the top end after market triggers. The sportsman holds them as a stock item but I am not sure of the cost as I have always requested them when buying the rifles. Its a five minute job to change the, hope this helps.
    Subsonic

Hi JCS
    Have you tried cocking the rifle and pushing the trigger forward to set the trigger? Make sure it is not loaded! I think there are only two triggers so you will either have the set trigger or the two stage tactical.

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    Hi JCS
    Have you tried cocking the rifle and pushing the trigger forward to set the trigger? [Yes, nothing happened as I didn't have a set trigger.]

Make sure it is not loaded! I think there are only two triggers so you will either have the set trigger or the two stage tactical.
    Both myself and a friend had Mannlicher Pro-Hunters that didn't have set triggers around 2006. I no longer have the rifle, and I had no issues with the trigger pull.

Regards

JCS