Exit Hole

User00022

This Roe was shot on Saturday by a client, just off broadside slightly facing towards us at about 60 yards, 100 Grain RWS Soft Nosed .243...

The exit as the picture shows was about 3" x 4" removing 4 sections of Rib Bone...

The entry has only just clipped the entry rib rather than smashing straight through if that had been the case this would have been slightly more explainable... The bullet also hadn't changed direction as entry and exit aligned as to be expected...

The diaphragm, liver, spleen and intestine also exited with the bullet, I'm assuming due to suction as the bullets force pulled through...

Anyone seen this before... It just seems odd that the entry rib was only clipped and this happened otherwise i would not be so intrigued...

RIMG0257.jpg

Alex

Ahhh Alex,

Yes very similar but a different calibre and bullet. It happened to me on my very first Roe, a Doe taken in Feburary quite a few years ago. Shot was from a high seat taken at about 90 yards. Rifle was a Brno ZKK 601 in .308 and the load was a Sierra 180 Grn Pro Hunter #2150 over 42.0 Grains of Reloader 15 with WLR primer in a surplus OFV case.

The bullet hit a rib going in and took out 3 ribs coming out and some of the intensines were hanging out of the exit wound. I did not use the Sierra bullets for a long time as I also found bits of core and jacket inside the chest cavity indicating that the bullet came apart.

Hydrolic Shock

Alex

The reason for the gut exiting is hydrolic shock, this can also happen on the impact area which seems stupid, but its caused by a fast moving round hitting the deer & causing a vaccum which the guts & tissue fill on either impact or exit-all very nasty in anycase.

I would say that the large exit hole is just hitting ribs with an already expanded bullet.

Some people think the 243 being the entry level calibre leaves little holes, in real terms it does not I assure you, we are processing 20+ deer a week & many have been 243'ed through the shoulder.

It is a small bullet but hits hard & fast leaving much more damage than many larger calibers.

Regs Lee

Thanks Lee & Brithunter...

Your explanations certainly make sense...

Paul no it didn't run very far but actually took about 15 seconds to drop its head from a bolt up right position almost like it was back shot...

I was just about to suggest a follow up shot to make sure when it finally rested...

Alex

Re: Hydrolic Shock

lwcdart said:
Some people think the 243 being the entry level calibre leaves little holes, in real terms it does not I assure you, we are processing 20+ deer a week & many have been 243'ed through the shoulder.

It is a small bullet but hits hard & fast leaving much more damage than many larger calibers.

Regs Lee

Could not agree more!!

I only have experience of red roe and fallow , the roe no matter what calibre , bullet weight powder etc always seems to end up with the most damage. I have seen similar damage from my own .243" on roe but in 20 years only once or twice.
There is a link(youtube?) on a post to bullets passing through ballistic jelly somewhere on the site, i found it quite interesting.
Unless you get more problems i would say stick with what you are using so long as you have confidence in them.

i gralloched 2 roe and 1 fallow with 125gn ballistic tips winter 2009 - whipped the lot out clean, didnt even bust the rumen!

Cervushunter...

The client who uses them has used them on Roe and Red never had a problem and have always been very effective...

In the end of the day I'm not the slightest bit concerned by this because i would prefer a bigger hole than a smaller one if it means the animal is down quicker...

A dead cull deer makes me happy... Exit hole size is less of a concern...

Bullets do behave oddly sometimes! One might think this would be commoner with quick, light ones at close range, but even bigger slower ones have their moments. There are so many variables.

You can't make an omlette without breaking eggs, though, and as you say, too much hole is better than not enough.

Re: Hydrolic Shock

countrysports5 said:
lwcdart said:

Regs Lee

Could not agree more!!

I have a wee smile when i read about people wanting to give up .243 and up-gun to something more suitable for bigger deer. Seen some big wallah stags in the rut felled with .243 like you'd hit them with a cannon ball..esp the 105gr round nose. Always a go-to cartridge for me.

Sorry but it's not a close up however the exit wound is visable just. The 4pt Roe Buck dropped on the spot, in fact he went down so fast i didn't see him drop :eek: , the bullet a 173 grain RWS H-Mantle in 7x57mm went through the chest and broke the left fore shoulder/leg on exit. The buck was feeding broadside at around 65 yards:-

25634929.jpg

the spot on the low part of the shoulder is the exit. We found him upright resting on his chest with the left leg splayed out tot eh left propping him up with the nose rested on the ground grass still in mouth. Oh it was in May ;) .

exit wound

Ive shot alot of roe this season with the 22.250 (over the border) and have found nealy all have very small entry & exit wounds. its a very fast round but bloody accreate and they dont go far. I love that little rifle...

yes the 243 drops them on the spot told you it was called a dog gun ever thing it hits is dog food :lol: 223 and 243 why have a big gun when these two do it all

Waheyyy
an exit wound competition ;)
this is one of my entries
chest shot Munty with a 30-06
P1060826.jpg

see no meat damage at all ;)
and it dropped on the spot :evil:

stone said:
Waheyyy
an exit wound competition ;)
this is one of my entries
chest shot Munty with a 30-06
P1060826.jpg

see no meat damage at all ;)
and it dropped on the spot :evil:
nice :eek: but the 243 can do that at half the cost :lol: saved you a bit of work butchering the front end ;) bmg50 pictures please :rolleyes:

see told you no meat damage
P1060829.jpg

P1060831.jpg

red stag
PICT3025-1.jpg

PICT3026-1.jpg

but the main thing all were gathered and plenty meat for for mince :lol: :lol:

think the 243 is very underated myself no wonder they drop on the spot thats a lot of damage from a 100g pill but good pictures of what a perticular caliber can do i shoot a roe in the neck and it was hanging by a tendon literaly :eek:

Back