Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a kennel/run

Building a kennel/run

Hi all,
    I'm thinking ahead to when my pup is a bit older, I want to build a run in the garden where she can stay during the day while the wife and I are at work. The area I have in mind is a tarmac surface, 3m long by 1.5 wide bordered on one side by the normal garden panel fence and on the short side by a brick wall. I'm planning to make a L shaped fence to make a rectangular run.
    What's my best option? Here: Dog Health dog kennels, dog kennel runs, dog kennel run panels
    Seems to be the cheapest for pre-made panels, has anyone tried a home build using welded mesh or similar? I'm weighing up cost vs effort to install vs quality. The dog will have a small "traditional" kennel for shelter, which I can site in the shade and out of any breeze, the run just needs to contain her for her own safety/security rather than giving her the whole graden where somebody might leave the gate open or she can dig up the lawn or whatever.
    Anything I need to consider, any tips on self builds, etc?
    Thanks all!
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

simon check the simular threads below,i will say this tho put some sort of drain in other wise it will stink after a while,not that hard to knock one together as you say weld mesh or simular panels and a door,half roof?cheers,
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    Won't the Tarmac melt?
    It's presumably been there a while and not melted so I guess not?
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    Blog

Dogs pee will eat into tarmac very quickly. if you use concrete it needs to be at least a C30 mix to stop the same thing

shutter the area off after fitting a drain of any discription, even if its only a low drain hole to a soak away concrete the base it will be easier to clean tile it after if youve got tiles, and scrounge about on sites for some materials some will be free,the better the base the better the kennel you get the idea dont rush it , it will be crap it will stink you wont be happy ,and whats more neither will your dog,
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by 1kevb View Post
    Dogs pee will eat into tarmac very quickly. if you use concrete it needs to be at least a C30 mix to stop the same thing
    Hmm, you learn something new every day! That changes things a bit then, as it's a rented house I don't really fancy putting down a permanent concrete base...
    Blog

Build a proper kennel. Here's one i made earlier. Everything built by me.

you can surely cover up the tarmac?
    DONT START

Thinking outside the box here:

What if I build a floor out of ply and cover it with linoleum or something? I could put it on feet so it won't suffer damp from below and put a drop on for drainage/easy cleaning?
    Daft idea?
    What about rubber horse mat stuff?
    Blog