Thread: clearing ground

clearing ground

Hi, I have a small piece of ground, and the gorse is just getting out of control so I am thinking of buying a petrol strimmer with a brush cutting blade, just looking for suggestions on the best one to buy?
    Neil

For gorse you will need a big machine at least a FS 400 with a mulcher head, much better than the 3 tine blade. Don't by an inferior machine, it will be destroyed in a day.

Is it accessible with a tractor if so It mite be as cheep to ask a contractor with a muncher or a flail to chop it down for you.

Regards kev
    History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

Stihl or a Husky, both reputable makes.

get some one with a flail if poss if not a stihl,
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    For gorse you will need a big machine at least a FS 400 with a mulcher head, much better than the 3 tine blade. Don't by an inferior machine, it will be destroyed in a day.

Or if you are the farmer on some of my ground a match!!!!

A petrol strimmer sounds more for light grass a brush cutter /clearing saw seems more appropriate for gorse clearing. Grubbed out roots and all then burned is probably the best way to get rid of them, repeated over several years.

Burning the gorse clumps will have limited success in killing them as a good fire opens up the light and all their seed germinate. It can leave you with only a few charcoal stems to deal with lighter work but messy.

http://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Product...ring-saws.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Hi, I have a small piece of ground, and the gorse is just getting out of control so I am thinking of buying a petrol strimmer with a brush cutting blade, just looking for suggestions on the best one to buy?
    Neil

I second the match, it the best way to sort it out it's far to prickly to cut and handle any more.

for what you'll have to spend to get a good brush cutter you could hire a mulcher (flail mower?) to wipe it out then stay on top of it with a lawn mower. If still necessary (likely not), hit it with roundup in spring.