Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not seeing too many Swallows and Martins

Not seeing too many Swallows and Martins

Don't seem to be seeing too many of these up in Derbyshire this year, has anyone else noticed a decline?

Yes less than in past years, but more than last year when numbers were very low around here, haven't seen any swifts this year which is unusual ,usually see them riding the thermals on fine evenings.

Yes, same here but plenty of fly life.

Think we have more this year than the last four or five years here in Scottish borders .I have ten or so Martin's nesting on my house which is a lot more than normal and a good number of swallows at the stables as well.

had lots down this way last eve in rochford essex, nice to see them zapping the gnats

Not many here at all.Very sad to see

Regular Poster
    I have been thinking exactly the same thing when in London. Good number of Martins in Hereford as ususal but in London our evening sky has in the past also been blissfully crammed with swifts and swallows. Not this year. The local habitat hasn't changed as far as I'm aware.

Quote Originally Posted by Sako Hunter View Post
    Don't seem to be seeing too many of these up in Derbyshire this year, has anyone else noticed a decline?
    you can have about 50 swallows from my house if you want, I can't seem to stop them building nests in every window sill in the house, with flies then crawling through the cracks into the rooms...f'ing nightmare!

Seeing about the same number of Swallows but less House Martins and Swifts this year so far.
    Do have a Song Thrush nest in garden, first for many years.

drastically reduced numbers of all swifts swallows and housemartins here . We have had families of swallows for years in our old falling shed left standing for just this reason , this year nothing and lots of insect life , bats have vanished too , so few bees it's criminal ;(((
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
    Adolph Hitler 1933