Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: neck vs full lenght resizing die

neck vs full lenght resizing die

stupid question probably, but which is to be preferred and when?

Full length sizing returns the case dimensions to "factory" settings. Chambering these rounds is easy and reliable as there is plenty of slack between the case and chamber. You could also use these rounds in other guns of the same calibre, assuming of course that all other specifications are in line with manufactures specs. I only full length size second hand cases before fire-forming in my gun.

Collet dies are for fire-formed cases and work by squeezing the neck only and have the following advantages:-

Minimal case lubrication required
    Reduced case trimming
    Increased case life
    Speed and convenience
    Uniform neck tension
    Improved accuracy

So I would go for neck sizing only unless your rifle is a bit sticky with them.

i loaded a box of 80 gn soft points in my .243 (R93) in some 2 or 3 times neck sized cases, they were a bitch to chamber and a tw&t to get out if not fired. when fired they extracted normally. out came the pliers and the full length resizeing die

full length sizeing only for me now

Quote Originally Posted by scotspine
    Full length sizing returns the case dimensions to "factory" settings. Chambering these rounds is easy and reliable as there is plenty of slack between the case and chamber. You could also use these rounds in other guns of the same calibre, assuming of course that all other specifications are in line with manufactures specs. I only full length size second hand cases before fire-forming in my gun.

Collet dies are for fire-formed cases and work by squeezing the neck only and have the following advantages:-

Minimal case lubrication required
    Reduced case trimming
    Increased case life
    Speed and convenience
    Uniform neck tension
    Improved accuracy

So I would go for neck sizing only unless your rifle is a bit sticky with them.
    +1

I like Collet dies too but they require less than minimum lubrication: they use NO lubrication.

OffRoadGary: A little knowledge is dangerous! With high pressure (modern) cartridges neck sizing is only good for a couple of firings before FL resizing is needed. This is nothing new; very common knowledge. Unfortunately, a lot of makers don't pass that tid-bit on to the buyers of neck sizing dies. I always "partial neck size", or FL resize hunting loads for reliability. Partial Neck Sizing is done when you back the Fl die off enough to not touch the shoulder but still size a portion of the case-head area. RCBS used to include instructions on this practice with all dies. It is a great compromise. You might ant to try it.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir
    OffRoadGary: A little knowledge is dangerous!
    and also quite frustrating. try unloading about 90 loaded rounds with a kinetic hammer - i got to about number 3 and then decided on a quicker (but more destructive) method!

i also found that i wasnt getting enough / or uniform neck tension with the collet die - with the full length die it was always constant

OG, As demonstrated to Ash243 on Sunday, Catalogue number #050095 Hornady collet die bullet puller, you could have easily pulled your 90 rounds & reset neck tension in about half an hour! 8) these are about 20.00, "Other brands are available " Steve.

Hmmmm let's se I use the lee collet dies on I think it's 4 cartridges and have yet to notice poor of varible neck tension. Lee even includ di-structions on how to increase neck tension if you think more is needed I have a another set of collet dies which not longer work however that is beacuse I bored an 8x57mm set out to handle .375 RNE (9.5x57mm) and no longer have the .275 Mauser rifle.

One day I will order a replacement 8mm collet and polish the 0.375" stem down to 0.366" to handle neck sizing for the 9.3x57mm I find th collet dies very useful and versatile

I bought the Lee de-luxe se of dies with both types of re-sizer, so i can neck size untill I need to full length resize. Not expensive either.

ft

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270
    OG, As demonstrated to Ash243 on Sunday, Catalogue number #050095 Hornady collet die bullet puller, you could have easily pulled your 90 rounds & reset neck tension in about half an hour! 8) these are about 20.00, "Other brands are available " Steve.
    to adjust neck tension with charged case do you take out the decapping tool from the lee die?

so pull head, change die, reset tension, change die, seat bullet - 3 per minuite

hmmmm, it took me about 5 mins to pull the 90 heads and dump the powder, i then had to resize as the rounds wouldnt chamber - it wasnt just neck tension in my case. on my hourly rate it wasnt worth saving the bullet heads by pulling them properly!