Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weihrauch hw 60 j in .22 hornet

weihrauch hw 60 j in .22 hornet

hi all.

i was recently fortuneate enough to get the funds together to buy a new weihrauch hw 60j in .22 hornet. The weihrauch website is a little lacking as to information and photos of their fac rifles but owning two of their air rifles already i know how well they are built. After much searching i found a few people who could order one for me and after a few emails this was done by steve beaty of ivythorn sporting. The importers said there would be a twelve week wait. Well on a slow day at work i e mailed steve and the rifle had turned up the day before after only eight weeks.
    So i loaded the family into the car and trotted off to somerset to pick the rifle up. This is only the second new rifle i have bought and it was really nice to be able to test it on the range at ivythorn. after a long drive i was greeted by both steve and shane who i found to be very honest in their approach towards me with no pressure to buy anything but were willing to listen to my thoughts and requirements. Shane swapped a scope off of my air rifle to put on the hornet and then fitted a spare scope of mine back onto my air rifle. There was no rush to take my money as compared to other shops i have been in and i was told to keep hold of it until i had tested the rifle and was happy with it which i thought was a nice touch.
    As for the rifle itself it is everything i had hoped it would be. The finish is superb both on the stock and the metal work. the stock whilst typically european really works and i have no problem with cheek weld with the hog back style. The trigger is a two stage with a smooth first pull then a definate stop before gentle pressure releases the firing pin with no creep. I was a little worried about which scope and mounts to use as i wanted them low enough to get my head on the stock but i wondered if the bolt would interfear with the scope but the bolt has a shallow lift so its no problem at all. the barrel is of a heavy contour but not a varmint. It feels solid but not front end heavy. it is fully floated and although the stock has a slim forened the is very little flex if any and a generous float. The wood itself is superb and the photos just dont do it justice.
    So far with factory ammo i have managed .6 inch groups at 75 yards sitting off of sticks and .8 inch groups at 100 yards shooting prone off of a ruck sack. im not ashamed to say most of my rifle shooting up until now has been sub 75 yard so 100 yards trying to shoot an inch square seems a bit far but i hope to improve on these groups with practice a better shooting bench and refined home loads. Im certainly confident that the rifle will out shoot me.
    I will keep you posted on how the load developing goes and what accuracy i can get.
    Thanks again to stave and shane at ivythorn and i would recommend them to anyone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	129.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	398.1 KB 
ID:	43558Click image for larger version. 

Name:	130.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	416.9 KB 
ID:	43560Click image for larger version. 

Name:	131.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	311.5 KB 
ID:	43561Click image for larger version. 

Name:	132.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	362.6 KB 
ID:	43564Click image for larger version. 

Name:	135.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	43566Click image for larger version. 

Name:	136.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	381.1 KB 
ID:	43568

regards pete

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    hi all.

i was recently fortuneate enough to get the funds together to buy a new weihrauch hw 60j in .22 hornet. The weihrauch website is a little lacking as to information and photos of their fac rifles but owning two of their air rifles already i know how well they are built. After much searching i found a few people who could order one for me and after a few emails this was done by steve beaty of ivythorn sporting. The importers said there would be a twelve week wait. Well on a slow day at work i e mailed steve and the rifle had turned up the day before after only eight weeks.
    So i loaded the family into the car and trotted off to somerset to pick the rifle up. This is only the second new rifle i have bought and it was really nice to be able to test it on the range at ivythorn. after a long drive i was greeted by both steve and shane who i found to be very honest in their approach towards me with no pressure to buy anything but were willing to listen to my thoughts and requirements. Shane swapped a scope off of my air rifle to put on the hornet and then fitted a spare scope of mine back onto my air rifle. There was no rush to take my money as compared to other shops i have been in and i was told to keep hold of it until i had tested the rifle and was happy with it which i thought was a nice touch.
    As for the rifle itself it is everything i had hoped it would be. The finish is superb both on the stock and the metal work. the stock whilst typically european really works and i have no problem with cheek weld with the hog back style. The trigger is a two stage with a smooth first pull then a definate stop before gentle pressure releases the firing pin with no creep. I was a little worried about which scope and mounts to use as i wanted them low enough to get my head on the stock but i wondered if the bolt would interfear with the scope but the bolt has a shallow lift so its no problem at all. the barrel is of a heavy contour but not a varmint. It feels solid but not front end heavy. it is fully floated and although the stock has a slim forened the is very little flex if any and a generous float. The wood itself is superb and the photos just dont do it justice.
    So far with factory ammo i have managed .6 inch groups at 75 yards sitting off of sticks and .8 inch groups at 100 yards shooting prone off of a ruck sack. im not ashamed to say most of my rifle shooting up until now has been sub 75 yard so 100 yards trying to shoot an inch square seems a bit far but i hope to improve on these groups with practice a better shooting bench and refined home loads. Im certainly confident that the rifle will out shoot me.
    I will keep you posted on how the load developing goes and what accuracy i can get.
    Thanks again to stave and shane at ivythorn and i would recommend them to anyone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	129.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	398.1 KB 
ID:	43558Click image for larger version. 

Name:	130.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	416.9 KB 
ID:	43560Click image for larger version. 

Name:	131.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	311.5 KB 
ID:	43561Click image for larger version. 

Name:	132.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	362.6 KB 
ID:	43564Click image for larger version. 

Name:	135.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	43566Click image for larger version. 

Name:	136.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	381.1 KB 
ID:	43568

regards pete
    Hi Pete

I have just purchased the same rifle in .22 LR and found it superb, 14" barrel and it shoots hole in hole, very well put together and the engineering is brilliant.

I replaced my very recently new purchase .22 LR sako quad with this because of ejector problems and I can say I am very pleased indeed, the bolt is as smooth as silk with little noise I have absolutely no problem at all, in fact I have ordered another in 22 WMR to replace my other quad I am so impressed with it.

easy to work and accurate, that's all I need from a rifle, I have put a photon on it and it is clearing up on rabbits big time

atb

phil

They are lovely aren't they. I picked up one in .22 lr in a gun shop a few years ago and was instantly impressed. From that day I wanted one but never thought I would get the opertunity. I have a cz 452 in .22 lr which is nice but not comparable to the hw's. I don't know how much yours was but in the hornet the price between the cz and hw is only about 30 quid but the finish is worlds apart

I have had a HW 60 J in 22Hornet for a few years now. It is a very good rifle indeed, good wood and very accurate. Compared with a CZ it is a bit heavier but overall an excellent rifle.
    I had it rethreaded and crowned by Neil Mckillop via Steve at Ivy thorn Sporting as the original threading was a bit rough, as you said both Steve and Shane are a pleasure to deal with. The Weihrauch is an excellent choice for a Hornet.

lovely looking rifle, and being a hw you know its quality, last year I bought a hw66 single shot heavy barrel .22 , never fired one , never held one but I knew it would be great, why? , like many others I learnt my trade on hw35,77.80s in the early 80s( for me anyway,) if you wanted an airrifle it had to be a hw and since owning the 66 it hasn't disappointed ,
    rgds
    craig

when looking at a hornet i tried to not be biased towards any make or model. firstly i looked at second hand rifles like the savages and cz. i didnt like the savage at all. it just didnt feel right. i like the czs and have had two .22 lrs a 17 hmr a .222 and a 243. all these rifles were nice and worked well. but for just a few extra pounds i could get the hw
    old keeper. yes i find it heavier then my cz but it just feels so solid and balanced. you bring it to the shoulder and you just feel you will hit whatever your going for.
    scoie. i like you started with weihrauch air rifles. i saved long and hard for two birthdays and a christmas pocket money and car washing to get my 77k for the princely sum of 145. i could hardly carry it let alone cock it but over the years ive probably had more rabbits with that rifle than my .22 lr and the .17 put together. and its still going strong. again its heavy but with open sight on it i can shoot better free hand than when fitted with a scope.

i say i try to be un biased but i do have a thing for the german rifles.
    Attachment 43602

Congratulations. That looks like a nice rifle. I started off my shooting career with HW 85 and 77K. Well made, accurate but heavy.

I have the hw60j in 17 hmr and love it, the trigger is a joy to use and yes it is a tad heavy that's because its built like a tank but with a lot of finesse. One day i'll trade in the 22cz for another hw60j that's how much I like it. The wood on mine is not as good as yours though.

Just a point to note on the .22 LR I have seen a few along with my own having a weak extractor ejector spring. I was getting a hard extraction (fired round stuck after obturation has occurred) every 2/3 rounds.

But once I rectified it, iv put some 200rnd though it now, and its a cracking bit!

I was given an Airsporter for my 13th Birthday and it is still going strong and has accounted for plenty of rabbits and squirrels. But i always wanted an hw35e. I might just treat myself sometime.