weihrauch hw 60 j in .22 hornet

hi all.

i was recently fortuneate enough to get the funds together to buy a new weihrauch hw 60j in .22 hornet. The weihrauch website is a little lacking as to information and photos of their fac rifles but owning two of their air rifles already i know how well they are built. After much searching i found a few people who could order one for me and after a few emails this was done by steve beaty of ivythorn sporting. The importers said there would be a twelve week wait. Well on a slow day at work i e mailed steve and the rifle had turned up the day before after only eight weeks.
So i loaded the family into the car and trotted off to somerset to pick the rifle up. This is only the second new rifle i have bought and it was really nice to be able to test it on the range at ivythorn. after a long drive i was greeted by both steve and shane who i found to be very honest in their approach towards me with no pressure to buy anything but were willing to listen to my thoughts and requirements. Shane swapped a scope off of my air rifle to put on the hornet and then fitted a spare scope of mine back onto my air rifle. There was no rush to take my money as compared to other shops i have been in and i was told to keep hold of it until i had tested the rifle and was happy with it which i thought was a nice touch.
As for the rifle itself it is everything i had hoped it would be. The finish is superb both on the stock and the metal work. the stock whilst typically european really works and i have no problem with cheek weld with the hog back style. The trigger is a two stage with a smooth first pull then a definate stop before gentle pressure releases the firing pin with no creep. I was a little worried about which scope and mounts to use as i wanted them low enough to get my head on the stock but i wondered if the bolt would interfear with the scope but the bolt has a shallow lift so its no problem at all. the barrel is of a heavy contour but not a varmint. It feels solid but not front end heavy. it is fully floated and although the stock has a slim forened the is very little flex if any and a generous float. The wood itself is superb and the photos just dont do it justice.
So far with factory ammo i have managed .6 inch groups at 75 yards sitting off of sticks and .8 inch groups at 100 yards shooting prone off of a ruck sack. im not ashamed to say most of my rifle shooting up until now has been sub 75 yard so 100 yards trying to shoot an inch square seems a bit far but i hope to improve on these groups with practice a better shooting bench and refined home loads. Im certainly confident that the rifle will out shoot me.
I will keep you posted on how the load developing goes and what accuracy i can get.
Thanks again to stave and shane at ivythorn and i would recommend them to anyone.

129.jpg130.jpg131.jpg132.jpg135.jpg136.jpg

regards pete

hi all.

i was recently fortuneate enough to get the funds together to buy a new weihrauch hw 60j in .22 hornet. The weihrauch website is a little lacking as to information and photos of their fac rifles but owning two of their air rifles already i know how well they are built. After much searching i found a few people who could order one for me and after a few emails this was done by steve beaty of ivythorn sporting. The importers said there would be a twelve week wait. Well on a slow day at work i e mailed steve and the rifle had turned up the day before after only eight weeks.
So i loaded the family into the car and trotted off to somerset to pick the rifle up. This is only the second new rifle i have bought and it was really nice to be able to test it on the range at ivythorn. after a long drive i was greeted by both steve and shane who i found to be very honest in their approach towards me with no pressure to buy anything but were willing to listen to my thoughts and requirements. Shane swapped a scope off of my air rifle to put on the hornet and then fitted a spare scope of mine back onto my air rifle. There was no rush to take my money as compared to other shops i have been in and i was told to keep hold of it until i had tested the rifle and was happy with it which i thought was a nice touch.
As for the rifle itself it is everything i had hoped it would be. The finish is superb both on the stock and the metal work. the stock whilst typically european really works and i have no problem with cheek weld with the hog back style. The trigger is a two stage with a smooth first pull then a definate stop before gentle pressure releases the firing pin with no creep. I was a little worried about which scope and mounts to use as i wanted them low enough to get my head on the stock but i wondered if the bolt would interfear with the scope but the bolt has a shallow lift so its no problem at all. the barrel is of a heavy contour but not a varmint. It feels solid but not front end heavy. it is fully floated and although the stock has a slim forened the is very little flex if any and a generous float. The wood itself is superb and the photos just dont do it justice.
So far with factory ammo i have managed .6 inch groups at 75 yards sitting off of sticks and .8 inch groups at 100 yards shooting prone off of a ruck sack. im not ashamed to say most of my rifle shooting up until now has been sub 75 yard so 100 yards trying to shoot an inch square seems a bit far but i hope to improve on these groups with practice a better shooting bench and refined home loads. Im certainly confident that the rifle will out shoot me.
I will keep you posted on how the load developing goes and what accuracy i can get.
Thanks again to stave and shane at ivythorn and i would recommend them to anyone.

View attachment 43558View attachment 43560View attachment 43561View attachment 43564View attachment 43566View attachment 43568

regards pete

Hi Pete

I have just purchased the same rifle in .22 LR and found it superb, 14" barrel and it shoots hole in hole, very well put together and the engineering is brilliant.

I replaced my very recently new purchase .22 LR sako quad with this because of ejector problems and I can say I am very pleased indeed, the bolt is as smooth as silk with little noise I have absolutely no problem at all, in fact I have ordered another in 22 WMR to replace my other quad I am so impressed with it.

easy to work and accurate, that's all I need from a rifle, I have put a photon on it and it is clearing up on rabbits big time

atb

phil

They are lovely aren't they. I picked up one in .22 lr in a gun shop a few years ago and was instantly impressed. From that day I wanted one but never thought I would get the opertunity. I have a cz 452 in .22 lr which is nice but not comparable to the hw's. I don't know how much yours was but in the hornet the price between the cz and hw is only about 30 quid but the finish is worlds apart

I have had a HW 60 J in 22Hornet for a few years now. It is a very good rifle indeed, good wood and very accurate. Compared with a CZ it is a bit heavier but overall an excellent rifle.
I had it rethreaded and crowned by Neil Mckillop via Steve at Ivy thorn Sporting as the original threading was a bit rough, as you said both Steve and Shane are a pleasure to deal with. The Weihrauch is an excellent choice for a Hornet.

lovely looking rifle, and being a hw you know its quality, last year I bought a hw66 single shot heavy barrel .22 , never fired one , never held one but I knew it would be great, why? , like many others I learnt my trade on hw35,77.80s in the early 80s( for me anyway,) if you wanted an airrifle it had to be a hw and since owning the 66 it hasn't disappointed ,
rgds
craig

when looking at a hornet i tried to not be biased towards any make or model. firstly i looked at second hand rifles like the savages and cz. i didnt like the savage at all. it just didnt feel right. i like the czs and have had two .22 lrs a 17 hmr a .222 and a 243. all these rifles were nice and worked well. but for just a few extra pounds i could get the hw
old keeper. yes i find it heavier then my cz but it just feels so solid and balanced. you bring it to the shoulder and you just feel you will hit whatever your going for.
scoie. i like you started with weihrauch air rifles. i saved long and hard for two birthdays and a christmas pocket money and car washing to get my 77k for the princely sum of £145. i could hardly carry it let alone cock it but over the years ive probably had more rabbits with that rifle than my .22 lr and the .17 put together. and its still going strong. again its heavy but with open sight on it i can shoot better free hand than when fitted with a scope.

i say i try to be un biased but i do have a thing for the german rifles.
View attachment 43602

Congratulations. That looks like a nice rifle. I started off my shooting career with HW 85 and 77K. Well made, accurate but heavy.

I have the hw60j in 17 hmr and love it, the trigger is a joy to use and yes it is a tad heavy that's because its built like a tank but with a lot of finesse. One day i'll trade in the 22cz for another hw60j that's how much I like it. The wood on mine is not as good as yours though.

Just a point to note on the .22 LR I have seen a few along with my own having a weak extractor ejector spring. I was getting a hard extraction (fired round stuck after obturation has occurred) every 2/3 rounds.

But once I rectified it, iv put some 200rnd though it now, and its a cracking bit!

I was given an Airsporter for my 13th Birthday and it is still going strong and has accounted for plenty of rabbits and squirrels. But i always wanted an hw35e. I might just treat myself sometime.

Just a point to note on the .22 LR I have seen a few along with my own having a weak extractor ejector spring. I was getting a hard extraction (fired round stuck after obturation has occurred) every 2/3 rounds.

But once I rectified it, iv put some 200rnd though it now, and its a cracking bit!

Do you think it would it it be a good idea to release the tension on the bolt after use and cleaning before putting away or is that a bit OTT. It's easy easy peasy to re cock, would that extend the life of the spring.

Atb

phil

I do as a matter of course but truth I really don't think it makes any difference at all. I have some guns I have had for 50 years or more and never have any spring problems and some of them are probably nearer 100 years old.

Lovely rifle, nippy little cartridge and only to be improved as a package c/o a less utilitarian approach to scope mounting. May I therefore respectfully suggest you consider the following once you’ve settled on a scope with nice glass:

Dap-Tar Bases & Projectionless Rings
CZrfdt_zps2d431b50.jpg

http://conetrol.com/

Cheers

K
:D

Ouch klench ouch. :lol: yes you can suggets those mounts and some nice glass. When funds allow and after getting a new mod for it I will put these mounts and scope back on the air rifle which they suit perfectly and upgrade the hornet. I would like a 40 mm or smaller scope on it as anything bigger will look top heavy. I had thought of going down to a 32 mm objective lense if it meant the glass was better than a cheaper bigger lensed scope.
Have you had any joy on sourceing a .22 hornet jagdmatch yet.

Cracking wee rifle. First HW experience was an HW35 and then an HW77K and then a HW60J in .22 LR. Found every one of them superbly engineered with fantastic triggers. Just wish they would do something in .270 ! Oh well I can dream.............

Ouch klench ouch. :lol: yes you can suggets those mounts and some nice glass. When funds allow and after getting a new mod for it I will put these mounts and scope back on the air rifle which they suit perfectly and upgrade the hornet. I would like a 40 mm or smaller scope on it as anything bigger will look top heavy. I had thought of going down to a 32 mm objective lense if it meant the glass was better than a cheaper bigger lensed scope.
Have you had any joy on sourceing a .22 hornet jagdmatch yet.
No but I'm in no rush and just wanted a price at this stage ..............

Cheers

K

thanks for the comments guys.

i had this on my cz 452 in 22lr. i found it was the waxy coating in rws ammo. i gave the rifle a good scrub and went back to winchester rounds and no problems since

Heym. you know it would put a smile on your face. whenever i use my old 77k with open sights i just feel i could hit anything.

david t. i was thinking along the same lines. i would love one in 6.5 x55 or 308.

Klench ive had a look at those bases and rings. is there an english stockest and apart from looking nice what better on these rather than say leupolds etc

regards pete

Last edited:
No UK stockist so you'll have to negotiate George V Miller's quaint and sometimes challenging approach to sales via e-mail enquiry. Further, the website is less than user-friendly and in terms of presentation has more in common with their 1970's catalogue than the 21st Century.

With the negatives out of the way we may concentrate on the positive that for me is very simple: Their "projectionless" rings add nothing to a scope and more than any other give the impression they might be integral to the 1", 26mm or 30mm tube. So yes, for me its their aesthetic and has been from the moment I spotted them on the front cover of a 1970's copy of Guns & Ammo.

Another positive is their range of Dap-Tar bases that are perfect for grooved actions such as CZ and the Weihrauch featured here. This approach allows for preferred positioning/spacing rather than being restricted by where the factory has drilled & tapped for bases. Base install is simple but they must be 'drifted' on with a block of wood before locking up solid with the discreet hex screws.

Every rifle owner should own at least one set of Conetrol Rings & Mounts before hanging up their bolt!

K

Last edited:
So you like them then. I have been out this evening with my air rifle and spare scope and couldn't hit a barn door so the new mod may have to wait and will put the hornet scope back on the air rifle and get something better for the hornet. Think it will have to be under 200 quid though

Back