Thread: mounting Cast red stag antlers

mounting Cast red stag antlers

Hi guys,

I have a couple of sets of red stag antlers I have found, one of which is a small pair of 6 points (i witnessed the stag drop one of which and found the other just 50 yards away from the following weekend). The other is a pair of HUGE antlers, both 7 points (one would have been 9 points but it broke two tines during the rut). I was wanting to mount the larger pair, they have a bur diameter of 8cm. (the large antlers are in my picture). I found them this year and found one of his antlers last year which is a 10 point on its own! So he's a pretty big animal!

I have found numerous replica skulls to mount cast antlers onto but none have big enough burrs. Do you know where i can get a skull with large pedicles?

Thanks!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	086.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	556.4 KB 
ID:	43572

If I were you, and you are just getting into stalking, I wouldn't spend any money mounting them of a fake skull, it will never look perfect, and you'd be better off to save your pennies, and spend them shooting one for yourself which will be worth 20 of those you have found.... The memories count for a great deal
    dont get me wrong, they are beautiful, but I would leave them as they are, maybe try and make something with them, or just leave them on a shelf as an ornament.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    If I were you, and you are just getting into stalking, I wouldn't spend any money mounting them of a fake skull, it will never look perfect, and you'd be better off to save your pennies, and spend them shooting one for yourself which will be worth 20 of those you have found.... The memories count for a great deal
    dont get me wrong, they are beautiful, but I would leave them as they are, maybe try and make something with them, or just leave them on a shelf as an ornament.
    I've thought about that, I have many antlers i've found and am in the process of making a chandelier, it just seems a waste to leave them on a shelf to gather dust. Would much prefer to have them up on the wall above my bed or in the hall. To be admired. Plus I doubt I'll get the oppurtunity to shoot such a large stag!

You will if you save the money! God I'm sounding like my parents, but it's true, if I totted up all the money I'd frittered away on folly relating to stalking that could have been spent on actual stalking over the years........
    you may be surprised by what you can shoot anyway, and even if it wasn't 14 points, so what, it would have been yours and the memory will last a lifetime.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

fair enough, I guess I'll save up for a better target! haha thanks for the help