Thread: Summer Solstice Buck….

Summer Solstice Buck….

Back in my high seat this evening and after 40 minuets’ of waiting I saw the long grass move and a buck who had been calling earlier stepped out on to last season’s game cover strip…
    He was around 110 yards out walking broadside; I could see the antlers in velvet through my Kahles. I gave a low bark and as he lifted his head my a4 reticule was on his neck. If it had been a Roe buck in velvet I would have left him but the farmer wants them thinned out so over he went.
    The amount of foxes I shoot has opened up some very nice doors to land quite close to me; one at a time is good as my cool space is limited. There are a few Roe and Fallow not so far as the crow fly’s but the A12 keeps them from getting to this area…
    He was 30lb on my farm scales after the gralloch and again in very nice condition.

Tim.243

Hes in lovely condition well done.

Nice buck think I'd have let him clean and a good weight too ,super nick .thanks for sharing
    norma

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    Nice buck think I'd have let him clean and a good weight too ,super nick .thanks for sharing
    norma
    Thanks, there is one other guy who does shoot over there and I could guarantee he would have shot it.
    This shooting is free but the owner is keen to take them out as he does a lot of coppicing. I have my eye on the rape/been harvest pigeon shooting so the 9 foxes and 3 deer so far might swing the balance....

Tim.243

Lovely conditioned buck, and looks like shot from the same high seat as your previous doe? You should be sorted for BBQ now!

A great animal I would have liked to see how he turned out a bit later.

I don't think you can be criticised for shooting a male munty at any time of year especially in essex where they have such a high population. Good job.

That's so cruel! Lovely beast though.

Well done

K
    Last edited by Klenchblaize; 26-06-2014 at 09:47.

Well done thats a nice young buck keep them coming. i dont give any munt jac a second chance if its safe its dead ,as long as i hit it that is .

Quote Originally Posted by berg View Post
    Well done thats a nice young buck keep them coming. i dont give any munt jac a second chance if its safe its dead ,as long as i hit it that is .
    Thank you, due to the weight I thought it was older but a friend came over the other night and looked at the head and gave the same opinion as yours.
    Once the head is cleaned up then I will put up a picture just as a reference.

Tim.243