Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiundi Terracan

Hiundi Terracan

Thinking of getting one of them. Has anyone had any experience of them. All the reviews I can find of them are good. I know they are not the most refined 4x4s out there but I do not need all that singing dancing crap that adds thousands of pounds to the price of a vehicle. We had a Lada Niva Cossack many years ago and that would go places my friends Defender wouldn't.

ATB

John.

Hi John,

I bought a Hyundai Terracan back in 2005 brand new when I worked at a Hyundai dealership. They are great vehicles, yes they may not have all the bells and whistles on like Range Rovers etc, but a patter forms when you see which one out if the two comes into the workshop week after week due to electrics, air suspension faults, air con faults etc etc, lest just say it was not the Terracan!

In the 9 years of owning the Terracan covering 80,000 miles all I done was service it annually, put tyres and fuel in it. The last few months just before I sold it last month, I fitted some anti-roll bar bushed, not expensive, and it also needed an injector as it was dribbling, resulting in smoking while under load. I have the facility at work to service the injector which is what I did.

So in 9 years it's Ben basically maintenance free, you won't get that from a Landy!

The 2.9 CRTD is a lovely smooth engine, loads of power and toque, it will tow anything! Spaces, comfy with everything you need from electric window to climate control.

The only reason for selling it was the wife has sadly recently gone through a life changing experience and I though a new car of her choice would help cheer her up and a new start etc etc so she went for something completely different a chose a new Ford Focus ST3 .

Go for it mate, you won't be disappointed, if you have any questions just fire away mate.

ATB

Steve.

I have had two in the past, never had a problem with either but they were bought from new.
    I change my vehicles every three years so would still have one if they were still made !!

Quote Originally Posted by 247sniper View Post
    Hi John,

I bought a Hyundai Terracan back in 2005 brand new when I worked at a Hyundai dealership. They are great vehicles, yes they may not have all the bells and whistles on like Range Rovers etc, but a patter forms when you see which one out if the two comes into the workshop week after week due to electrics, air suspension faults, air con faults etc etc, lest just say it was not the Terracan!

In the 9 years of owning the Terracan covering 80,000 miles all I done was service it annually, put tyres and fuel in it. The last few months just before I sold it last month, I fitted some anti-roll bar bushed, not expensive, and it also needed an injector as it was dribbling, resulting in smoking while under load. I have the facility at work to service the injector which is what I did.

So in 9 years it's Ben basically maintenance free, you won't get that from a Landy!

The 2.9 CRTD is a lovely smooth engine, loads of power and toque, it will tow anything! Spaces, comfy with everything you need from electric window to climate control.

The only reason for selling it was the wife has sadly recently gone through a life changing experience and I though a new car of her choice would help cheer her up and a new start etc etc so she went for something completely different a chose a new Ford Focus ST3 .

Go for it mate, you won't be disappointed, if you have any questions just fire away mate.

ATB

Steve.
    Sounds pretty much what I expected Steve. I think the only concern I may have is the spares situation now they are discontinued. The one I am looking at is a 2005 with 80K on the clock. Was thinking of a Honda CRV but I think maybe the 4 wheel drive is not that clever.

Unless you were after a body for the Terracan I wouldn't think there would be any problem getting spares for it as the engines may well be used in one of their other vehicles, the Santa Fe perhaps !!

we've got a kia sorento (2006). Hard to find something to complain about the korean stuff. The AWD is slick.... Goes up snowy or muddy trails around here like climbing a ladder. Tows 3.5 tons also.... never pulled that much, but you will forget a 2 ton trailer is behind you. I believe (but could be wrong) that the sorento and terracan are pretty much the same vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by vizslamad View Post
    Thinking of getting one of them. Has anyone had any experience of them. All the reviews I can find of them are good. I know they are not the most refined 4x4s out there but I do not need all that singing dancing crap that adds thousands of pounds to the price of a vehicle. We had a Lada Niva Cossack many years ago and that would go places my friends Defender wouldn't.

ATB

John.
    Thank you for your input gents. Looks like I will go ahead with one, shame the wife thinks they are pig ugly!
    ATB
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by vizslamad View Post
    Thank you for your input gents. Looks like I will go ahead with one, shame the wife thinks they are pig ugly!
    ATB
    John.
    just cover every empty spot on your walls with landrover pics.... She'll come around soon enough.....

Wife runs one for pulling her two horses around. Bought used 5 years ago and it is bombproof. Bodywork, engine etc have never missed a beat. I've had it off road a few times and it was fine. Not pretty but they are good, honest cars.

I think from memory that the 2.9 is an old merc designed lump?
    .243 Weatherby Vanguard Synth /.223 BRNO CZ527 Synthetic
    .22LR CZ 455 Synth / 12G Stoeger 2000 / 12G U/O Bettinsoli
    12G Zoli SBS / .410 unknown Italian