Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Funding for DSC

Funding for DSC

I have been given part funding to go through stalking courses but here is the issue very few if any at all training providers accept funding as payment for to do these courses. It is actually looking more like that it was utter pointless being approved for this funding. With the costs of new legislation and more and more courses needed to take employment in the industry it is good that funding is becoming more and more available but with less and less partners willing to take it as payment for their training services it seems utter pointless for it to be available at all.

whats your thoughts on it??

What is the arrangement exactly? Being part funded surely means someone is offering to pay part of your costs? If the course provider is being paid it doesn't matter where the money comes from surely!? If the group offering your part funding is just asking the course provider to cut his costs and not giving anything then they are not funding you are they? Even if it is somewhere inbetween then I'm not surprised you are being turned down as organisations offering the course have to pay the bills don't they? Just my thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    What is the arrangement exactly? Being part funded surely means someone is offering to pay part of your costs? If the course provider is being paid it doesn't matter where the money comes from surely!? If the group offering your part funding is just asking the course provider to cut his costs and not giving anything then they are not funding you are they? Even if it is somewhere inbetween then I'm not surprised you are being turned down as organisations offering the course have to pay the bills don't they? Just my thoughts!
    when I was doing my last degree course on Scottish History I was informed that I over paid on some modules and I was due money back, but I was also informed that when I was studying I applied for ILA on some modules and was awarded 200 but never used it so I inquired if I can use it for DSC and told yes but finding people that take ILA is impossible, the rest of the money obviously will be out of my own pocket, either way I have to do the course asap....
    Last edited by Tulloch; 22-06-2014 at 16:41.

If you mean the ILA grant Barony takes it and possibly North Highland College too. While we're miles away North Highland is on your doorstep really but if your stuck you could get registered with us and because I'm often up Lairg way we could figure something out easy enough.

Don't worry it's easy sorted if NHC don't take it but they probably do, atb

p

Thankyou Paul , NHC do take it but but the gamekeeping dept have not got back to me after numerous attempts this last few months. Left messages and sent emails and it has been an absoute nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by Tulloch View Post
    I have been given part funding to go through stalking courses but here is the issue very few if any at all training providers accept funding as payment for to do these courses. It is actually looking more like that it was utter pointless being approved for this funding. With the costs of new legislation and more and more courses needed to take employment in the industry it is good that funding is becoming more and more available but with less and less partners willing to take it as payment for their training services it seems utter pointless for it to be available at all.

whats your thoughts on it??
    I'll be honest Tulloch if I were a training provider I would expect you to ensure that payment was in place prior to the commencement of any course. I certainly wouldn't be prepared to go chasing around trying to collect payment from a third party. After all most of the training providers barely cover their costs, there's certainly no great profit in it.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulloch View Post
    Thankyou Paul , NHC do take it but but the gamekeeping dept have not got back to me after numerous attempts this last few months. Left messages and sent emails and it has been an absoute nightmare
    I had the same lack of response from NHC regarding ATV training/certification. In the end I went down there & banged on the door - managed to see the "right" chap who promised faithfully to get in touch with dates / rates etc. Guess what - not heard anything since!!!

Ian

Anyone who is in the forces can also use their standard learning credits on DSC1.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    I'll be honest Tulloch if I were a training provider I would expect you to ensure that payment was in place prior to the commencement of any course. I certainly wouldn't be prepared to go chasing around trying to collect payment from a third party. After all most of the training providers barely cover their costs, there's certainly no great profit in it.
    This is Governement money not third party money, those who take the funding know how it all works I just think that it is a waste of funding that I can use for stalking training, as I said before I applied for it a while back and when the UHI were finalising everything from my degree they toldd me I had addtional funding available and that they owed me 200 also , so technically if you include the ILA funding i had 400 I did not know I had and I would like to invest it in my stalking training adn as I will need to do it for work anyways i did not see the harm.

Government departments can be the worst to deal with as regards getting payment out of them. I have had traders refuse to accept anything but immediate payment by cheque because of previous delays with payments by various authorities. Why couldn't you simply pay for the course and reclaim the money?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.