Thread: Roe wet weight vs 90 day dry weight

Roe wet weight vs 90 day dry weight

Hi all,

For those who have shot medal roe what has your experience been of the weight loss over the 90 day period? Looking at other threads i know 10% - 15% is thrown around as an average but would like to get a more detailed picture to compare this. Obviously other factors are involved in measuring but just focussing on this for now.

I shot what i think may be my first medal last week all be it a bronze (pessimistic). When i weighed it after boiling and cleaning (and shaking out as much water as i could) it weighed 572g after a day and a half of drying in the sun it was 548g.

I dont know what people take as 'wet'weight. I judged mine as a day after boiling and will update this when it reaches the 90 days for dry weight.

Could anyone give me their experience of wet vs dry weights and when they took their wet weight reading i.e straight after cleaning, a day after etc. I can then make an average based on this.

Thanks

Chris

Chris, think the 10%~15% is not far off, don't think you can do much better than that not every head will loose the same amount, also a head shot early season will loose more than a head shot later in the year.

Don't know what formula BASC use as I have been unable to find one (they have done away with the 90 days ) due to the variables I can't see how there method can be 100% accurate.

Of the few that I've had measured, weight seems to have dropped by about 10%, from the day after boiling. This is for short noses, rather that full skulls

Without a photo it doesn't exist.......... C'mon, let's see!
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisWill184 View Post
    Hi all,

For those who have shot medal roe what has your experience been of the weight loss over the 90 day period? Looking at other threads i know 10% - 15% is thrown around as an average but would like to get a more detailed picture to compare this. Obviously other factors are involved in measuring but just focussing on this for now.

I shot what i think may be my first medal last week all be it a bronze (pessimistic). When i weighed it after boiling and cleaning (and shaking out as much water as i could) it weighed 572g after a day and a half of drying in the sun it was 548g.

I dont know what people take as 'wet'weight. I judged mine as a day after boiling and will update this when it reaches the 90 days for dry weight.

Could anyone give me their experience of wet vs dry weights and when they took their wet weight reading i.e straight after cleaning, a day after etc. I can then make an average based on this.

Thanks

Chris
    Based on your weight immediately out of the pan and effectively drip dry then I'd say you have a high bronze/low silver dependant on your other marks
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

First buck made bronze, I'm going back now!

Weight 3-5 days later clean & bleached was 570 gms. BASC weighed it at 485 gms, almost 15%, and scored 106.02 points.

I believe wet weight is the displacement weight during scoring? Mine weighed 350 gms wet if that helps.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    Without a photo it doesn't exist.......... C'mon, let's see!
    Initially I thought it was a bit thin up top to have the weight but putting it on the scales showed the weight I mentioned in the first post. The length is 27cm. Width is only 9.5 at widest point.
    Attachment 43688
    Attachment 43690Attachment 43689

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Bronze, because of the width and pearling. Otherwise a nice trophy
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama