Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BEST 7mm BULLET FOR RED DEER?

BEST 7mm BULLET FOR RED DEER?

Off to our permission in Sutherland again in November to give the keeper a hand with sikas, hybrids , and old red hinds. Normally I can get within 150yds to take a neck shot but on the hill sometimes a 2/300 yd shot is required. Obviously this requires one into the chest, but they will still run thankfully not into cover at half light yet but it's sure to happen at some point. Anyway I'm rambling , I'm using 7 rem mag with hand load 150g nosler ballistic tips at approx 3150 fps and getting quite clean pass throughs, even after going through both lungs. Any suggestions on a bullet and loading with more 'anchoring' power?

I'm not too sure about the rem mag but I'm using 139gr hornady btsp out of my 7 mm 08 and they are really good bullets used them in red fallow roe and muntjac and nothing but good things to say about them
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Cheers for your input jimbo1984, but I was thinking more along the lines of 170/175g soft points. I've tried lighter bullets , 140g bts & sps and the hydrostatic shock makes jello out of fallow! I've had a couple with innards vacuumed out of the entrance wound! I think the nosler partician is a bit too hard for reds as it would I imagine pass through too easily? All the deer go to the game dealer so I don't want to be taking out their 'running gear' as is favoured by some hunters as this effects the price of course.

I'd have a word with mark at 1967spud very knowledgeable on reloading and billets and great prices and service I'm sure he'll point you in the right direction
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

you are limited to 175gr with the 7MMRM
    pass through is down to construction. I am surprised that the BT's don't expand,

why not try the 162gr Interlock SST

The SST was designed to offer better expansion at longer range for the US Antelope market where 400+ yard shots are common.
    It gets a bad rep here as people use it under 100yds and wonder why it is messy

Otherwise the plain old Soft Point Interlock still expands well at long range
    Partitions are another more expensive option
    Last edited by bewsher500; 23-06-2014 at 18:38.

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/86478-7-mm-Remington-Magnum-with-Barnes-TSX-and-TTSX-

See the last few posts in the above thread. In nz I've used and reccommend Sierra 160g Gamk King (soft point bot tail) projectiles. Good reliable performance - and cheap too. Alot of guys like 160 Accubonds too. Have a look at this website by Nathan Foster - a huge mount od info from real world experience
    http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Know...on+Magnum.html
    Cheers,
    Hayden

Quote Originally Posted by Danny rem mag View Post
    Off to our permission in Sutherland again in November to give the keeper a hand with sikas, hybrids , and old red hinds. Normally I can get within 150yds to take a neck shot but on the hill sometimes a 2/300 yd shot is required. Obviously this requires one into the chest, but they will still run thankfully not into cover at half light yet but it's sure to happen at some point. Anyway I'm rambling , I'm using 7 rem mag with hand load 150g nosler ballistic tips at approx 3150 fps and getting quite clean pass throughs, even after going through both lungs. Any suggestions on a bullet and loading with more 'anchoring' power?

140grn Sierra Game kings .. 67.5 grns Reloader 19 .. = 3260ft per sec

This was my load when I used the 7mm Rem Mag, sat everything on it`s arse from munties to Reds .. from Diker to Kudu and Wilderbeast

You can spend a fortune on partitions, grand slams etc, etc ,etc, no need , whilst they are good at what they do, they are not necessary, at the distances you mention and the quarry your after the above load will do the job brilliantly " If you do yours"

But that`s only my opinion, what do I know, I use a 6.5 x 55

Bob

+ one Sierra game kings
    Tusker.

I use the Nosler 160gr Accubonds in my 7mm WSM (similar velocities to 7RemMag); consistently expand but I doubt you'd notice any change in "anchoring" compared to Partitions (which I've also used) or any of the other recommendations.