Sponsored walk.

basil

Distinguished Member
Admin, please remove if not appropriate.

I have a 5 month old grandaughter Millie, who is in and out of hospital due to a heart problem which is controlled through medication.
The Musgrove park hospital childrens ward nurses and staff do a wonderful job for the kids, some have even given their time free when things have been busy.
One time when Millie was unwell i asked the hospital if i could bring a musical mobile to put above Millies cot. I was told "Yes, no problem. We used to supply them but they`ve all been taken by vacating parents"
How heartless is that?
Over the last two weeks i`ve been thinking i want to give something back to the hospital.
I`m going to do a sponsored walk along the Bridgwater and Taunton canal. The canal begins at the docks in Bridgwater and ends at Firepool lock in Taunton, a distance of fourteen and a half miles. I`ll be walking it there and back, a distance of twenty nine miles. It will happen on the 29th August 2010 at around 8.30 am.
My lurcher Sox will walk some of it with me.
I`ll be having a few sponsor forms made and a "just giving" site set up.
Thanks for reading this.
basil.

good for you mate my little boy just had brain surgery thank god he is in tip top form now but thinking of giving back but how much is a childs life worth pricless hope it all goes well for you bud

243varmint said:
Put the details up Basil and I will put something in for you mate.

Jonathon

+1 basil.. Good for you mate..

I can tell you there is no way any of the Admin would see this as inapropriate.. They are good family men...

My kid brothers baby has just been born with a hole in the heart and various complications associated with that..

Absolutely crucified the family as she looks so amazingly beautifull and well you would never know..

Puts things into perspective.. So very sad

Terry

well done John
my thoughts are with you
my cousin had several heart ops by the age of eleven and never out of hospital
sometimes we wondered if he would ever get out, he is now 35

still with a hole in the heart ( but not as big) and assoiciated scars and body disfigurements from such ops, also still living on a knife edge
but that has not stopped him from being and living a normal life
i do hope your grandaughter has a great life not just for her but all concerned
ATB

basil said:
The canal begins at the docks in Bridgwater and ends at Firepool lock in Taunton, a distance of fourteen and a half miles. I`ll be walking it there and back,

Walking? I'd have thought a man of your stature would be better off swimming it! :lol:

Post the Justgiving link mate and I'll sponsor you.

ATB

Thanks for support lads.
I have come across a stumbling block at the moment.
To set up and maintain a "just giving" site will cost £15 a month and i can`t afford this.
It was suggested that i set up a paypal account but my mrs blew that out of the water as she doesn`t trust paypal.
So, now i`m going to an ad out on the forums i belong to to ask if someone would allow their paypal account to be used for collecting donations, they would then issue the final donation to the hospital.
Does that make any sense?
basil.

Basil
When I did the first March and Shoot I set up a 'just giving' page and I'm sure I was not charged but I think they take a percentage of sponsers.
If you use them and tell people to use the Gift Aid part the goverment bump your donation up.

I'm sure Bandit Country will put something up about this.

Good luck mate

Jonathon

Thanks for the info guys.
I think i`m going to be set up soon, an administrator of another forum i belong to is setting something up for me so watch this space.

This is what i picked up on the just giving website.
"Our subscription fee is just £15 per month, that's it, no contract and no administration fee"
Maybe i`ve read it all wrong. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, now i can look forward to August 29th and the 29th mile when i can say "I did it"
basil.

basil said:
This is what i picked up on the just giving website.
"Our subscription fee is just £15 per month, that's it, no contract and no administration fee" basil.

No mate, that is for charities that want to be featured on the Just Giving website - the actual organisations that benefit from the fund-raising. The League of Friends for Musgrove Park Hospital is a featured charity already, so you could set it up so that any online donations would go direct to them. Setting up and using a Just Giving page wont cost you a bean.

ATB

Thanks BC, that now makes things a whole world easier. Just giving take their fees from the gift aid tax. I really must go to spec savers. :eek:

Now, do we have any maths geniuses out there?
What i`m trying to fathom out is this -
If i start my 29 mile walk at 8.30 am, what time would i finish it?
Not including any stops along the way as at i`m not sure yet where they will be yet. I`m just looking for a rough time estimation.
basil.

Good for you basil. More sponsorship coming your way if you can suss the JG site!

Normal walking speed is about 3mph, so say about 10 hours for your yomp? Long ago in my Army days I remember doing 50 miles over 22 hours in full kit, that hurt, but those old DMS boots were hell ....

Thanks Mole. I`m reckoning on 8 to 10 hours ish.
I have to phone a lady at the childrens ward on tuesday regarding a couple of things but something will be set up soon.
basil.

Basil

My advice would be to forget about the time and just enjoy the walk. If you try to make it a race you'll gain nothing and lose the benefit of enjoying the day and the scenery.

Good luck and travel light................ I'll be in for some sponsorship when you have the link.

Back