Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: 243 fazination???

243 fazination???

Why would anyone want to shoot a 243, if you cannot take your game with a 22 caliber cartridge why would you not step up to a 30 caliber of some sort? Growing up in the Western US most people I knew of using a 243 were women who had trouble with the recoil of anything larger...

SS

you are about 4 days too early with this post matey!

Quote Originally Posted by MARCBO View Post
    Why would anyone want to shoot a 243, if you cannot take your game with a 22 caliber cartridge why would you not step up to a 30 caliber of some sort? .

SS
    because it's a cracking all rounder for small vermin, fox, small deer, medium deer, even some large deer. if you just one one rifle and 90% of what you shoot is 'up to' and including medium sized deer, then it's really a tough round to beat. 55g for the small stuff. 87g for the small/mid deer, and 100g for the bigger deer.

recoil is nowt so people tend to shoot accurately and with confidence, reloading is cheap and plenty of choice, and of course, every dealer has factory ammo aplenty on the shelves if you need.

if you're a good enough hunter to take game with a 6mm, why would you bother going larger?

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    because it's a cracking all rounder for small vermin, fox, small deer, medium deer, even some large deer. if you just one one rifle and 90% of what you shoot is 'up to' and including medium sized deer, then it's really a tough round to beat. 55g for the small stuff. 87g for the small/mid deer, and 100g for the bigger deer.

recoil is nowt so people tend to shoot accurately and with confidence, reloading is cheap and plenty of choice, and of course, every dealer has factory ammo aplenty on the shelves if you need.

if you're a good enough hunter to take game with a 6mm, why would you bother going larger?
    I have killed many Roe with a 223....

Bet you can find a broader selection of 30 caliber reloading components and loaded ammunition on the shelves should you look, not to mention surplus ammo in 308.

Same argument for the 223. It is a commonly held truth in the US that the 22LR has probably accounted for more deer than all other calibers combined.
    Last edited by MARCBO; 23-06-2014 at 21:37.

Why would anyone want to shoot a 243 ?

SS
    Because I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by scubadog View Post
    you are about 4 days too early with this post matey!
    This reminds me of the Sargeant Major walking thru the ranks and telling a soldier "You are going to need a haircut".

How do you know I am exactly 4 days too early?

SS

because three days is not long enough?
    DONT START

This reminds me of the Sargeant Major walking thru the ranks and telling a soldier "You are going to need a haircut".

How do you know I am exactly 4 days too early?

SS
    Because sh8t stirring posts with no good reason or point are usually saved for Friday evenings on forums.

Why would anyone want to shoot a 243, if you cannot take your game with a 22 caliber cartridge why would you not step up to a 30 caliber of some sort? Growing up in the Western US most people I knew of using a 243 were women who had trouble with the recoil of anything larger...

SS
    Yup. That's the way it is still.
    Considered a Lady's cartridge ~Muir

I have killed many Roe with a 223....

Bet you can find a broader selection of 30 caliber reloading components and loaded ammunition on the shelves should you look, not to mention surplus ammo in 308.

Same argument for the 223. It is a commonly held truth in the US that the 22LR has probably accounted for more deer than all other calibers combined.
    for a lot of people the .243 is the only rifle needed , it is big deer legal in Scotland unlike the .22 range and it can do everything below it so ideal all rounder