Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saeur 101 Classic wood

Saeur 101 Classic wood

Hi,

Looking at getting the above in 308, anyone got one that can give their thoughts?
    Also have you had an additional stud fitted in the forend wood for a bipod.

Regards,

Reggiegun

Quote Originally Posted by reggiegun View Post
    Hi,

Looking at getting the above in 308, anyone got one that can give their thoughts?
    Also have you had an additional stud fitted in the forend wood for a bipod.

Regards,

Reggiegun
    As mentioned in the single shot rifle thread .............................. a Bi-Pod is not really needed. back pack, Rifle slip or day pack makes a fine impromptu rest.

Slim fore stocks and Bi-Pods not not mix well.

If you are looking at a wood stock on the 101, why not also consider a standard wood stocked 202, even a slightly used one? The drop and pitch are different on the 101 and 202, so you should try both with the sort of scope you will be shooting, and various positions.

Yes very nice rifle and the price I feel is reasonable........However I am not so sure on the safety catch on the 101.
    I think to be honest I would go for the Mauser M12 which has the tried and tested Winchester swing style safety, but again that is my personal preference.
    Good luck with your buy, oh and I would rather have it in .30-06
    The ORDNANCE QF 18 pounder Field Gun......I wonder if they will let me have one of these on an open ticket

I have one in synthetic and it shoots well with an excellent crisp trigger. The safety catch does take a little getting used to but it is very functional once you are acquainted with it. The 101 is a good rifle that is well balanced with a very smooth bolt.

Alan
    Last edited by Mitscavitch; 24-06-2014 at 20:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    As mentioned in the single shot rifle thread .............................. a Bi-Pod is not really needed. back pack, Rifle slip or day pack makes a fine impromptu rest.

Slim fore stocks and Bi-Pods not not mix well.
    Get in the real world!!!!! Back pack, rifle slip or day pack??? That would really help when you are in some forestry rides or open hill and you have to shoot over two feet of heather. Less time reading up on Parker Hales and more time out in the field I think for you sir.

Quote Originally Posted by 1995rs View Post
    Get in the real world!!!!! Back pack, rifle slip or day pack??? That would really help when you are in some forestry rides or open hill and you have to shoot over two feet of heather. Less time reading up on Parker Hales and more time out in the field I think for you sir.
    Actually I sold my Bi-Pod on here if I remember correctly and i can count on one hand the times I actually used it to shoot deer. However I have used the back pack, rifle slip, trees, fence posts, my knees when sitting and wires on the fence many times. Have also used single and double sticks.

I have also seen many studs that have been ripped out by Bi-Pod use.

Kneeling and sitting seem to be forgotten, or unknown, shooting positions.

Kneeling is a very quick position to take, and if you learn to do it quickly and consistently, you can get into a very steady position, use cover, use a log or tree or fence post for a rest, and even without those, make a solid 300 yard shot with confidence. If the ground is wet, all you will get is one damp knee, much better than sitting or prone.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Kneeling and sitting seem to be forgotten, or unknown, shooting positions................................ at least in the UK!

Kneeling is a very quick position to take, and if you learn to do it quickly and consistently, you can get into a very steady position, use cover, use a log or tree or fence post for a rest, and even without those, make a solid 300 yard shot with confidence. If the ground is wet, all you will get is one damp knee, much better than sitting or prone.
    Have amended you quote to more accurately reflect the real situation. It's sad to say many stalkers today probably could not adopt and use any of those positions as without a Bi-Pod they are lost and incapable. Many professional guides here would most likely hav a heart attack if the client was to take an off hand shot or decline the proffered sticks/Bi-Pod ....................................... it's almost unthinkable that they can take a precise shot unless artificially supported so.

Shooting offhand, at the practice range, or roving and plinking, will force a shooter to learn how orient his body and feet to the target, rather than twisting the rifle there with his arms. And it will teach breath control and trigger control, smoothly squeezing even a 4 or 5 lb trigger rather than depending on a very light one. Even if you are going to use sticks or a shoot from prone, these fundamentals are important.

Not matter what I am doing at the range, I take time to shoot offhand and small targets, like charcoal briquettes, pieces of clay pigeon, drink bottle caps, at 100 yards, with .22 LR and whatever else I am shooting that day.