Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howa 1500 with blued flutted barrell ????? .243

Howa 1500 with blued flutted barrell ????? .243

Any one use these and are they any good ????

Howa make a good rifle. The one you asking about is just specced to suit the current fads.

Howa make a good, solid, no frills rifle In my opinion.

awesome, planning filling the slot I have open on my FAC for a .243, my father in law has showed a bit of interest in coming out with me on days so no harm

Howas are great rifles. But Brithunter gave you a good clue. If it is the version I think, with a short 20" barrel, then it will be marginally (or not) deer legal with a lot of factory ammo.

Better buy a standard version with 22" barrel, which makes a significant difference in .243.

The fluting is purely cosmetic.

But Howa .243 barrel twist rate (10 ") is marginal for stabilising 100 grain + bullets, which you are legally required to use, in the Highlands. Some may work, others won't.

You might be better looking at e.g. a Tikka, with 9" twist or shorter, and a proper barrel length.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    Howas are great rifles. But Brithunter gave you a good clue. If it is the version I think, with a short 20" barrel, then it will be marginally (or not) deer legal with a lot of factory ammo.

Better buy a standard version with 22" barrel, which makes a significant difference in .243.

The fluting is purely cosmetic.

But Howa .243 barrel twist rate (10 ") is marginal for stabilising 100 grain + bullets, which you are legally required to use, in the Highlands. Some may work, others won't.

You might be better looking at e.g. a Tikka, with 9" twist or shorter, and a proper barrel length.
    I definately need a moderator and it will definately be 100+gr ammo that will be used .

Quote Originally Posted by Tulloch View Post
    I definately need a moderator and it will definately be 100+gr ammo that will be used .
    does it have to be a .243? there are other calibres that may be more suitable, if you are going to carry it, then a sporter profile barrel may be lighter.
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    if you are going to carry it, then a sporter profile barrel may be lighter.
    The fluted version of the Howa .243 is a sporter barrel. If anything it is even spindlier than the normal sporter barrel, as well as being chopped to a rather short length (for a .243). Not a good idea to flute a sporter barrel IMHO, saves almost no weight, and just makes it less stiff.

Possibly the most unsuitable choice of barrel length and profile and twist for .243, and it costs 77 extra too.

But such things seem to be fashionable at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    does it have to be a .243? there are other calibres that may be more suitable, if you are going to carry it, then a sporter profile barrel may be lighter.
    yer it is the only slot I have available on my ticket and I am not putting in for a variation just now .

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    The fluted version of the Howa .243 is a sporter barrel. If anything it is even spindlier than the normal sporter barrel, as well as being chopped to a rather short length (for a .243). Not a good idea to flute a sporter barrel IMHO, saves almost no weight, and just makes it less stiff.

Possibly the most unsuitable choice of barrel length and profile and twist for .243, and it costs 77 extra too.

But such things seem to be fashionable at the moment.
    you are quite right sir, sorry I missed that
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."