Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cancer

cancer

My firearms certificate is due;a FAO informs me as I have prostate cancer I need a letter from my docter to say I do not suffer from any mental issues.My doctor is one of my referees for my firearms certificate. Any thoughts on this; Dave

Contact your shooting organisation and ask their advice.
    I would ask however are the police going to pay for this letter/medical report or are they expecting you to pay for it yourself. I also ask if your doctor is a friend as he is one of your referees or did you approach him in his professional capacity.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

An old work colleague of mine was diagnosed with prostate cancer many years ago. He certainly went through a range of emotions as I would think anybody being diagnosed with any form of cancer would. Was he a danger to anybody - no. Did he have mental issues - no. His thoughts and emotions to me were totally rational and human. By the way he died fairly recently aged 81 and NOT from prostate cancer. Keep positive and all the best.

Sorry to hear about that Dave,I had bladder,prostate and lymph nodes removed due to bladder cancer in dec (feel fine now ) the firearms dept found out about this because I was dealing with a late friends guns. Well I had a call from them to say they were taking my firearms until they receive reports from my GP to say that I'm physical land mentally able to possess and handle firearms safely! It took 5 weeks from taking them to returning them,but to be fair the main reason for delay was the GP didn't inform me he was waiting for payment before sending report 30! Police were courteous during this time and when delivering guns back, told me to enjoy my shooting! Don't think this is legal? Luckily they haven't taken your guns away. Good luck mate hope you're well soon.

The police expect you to sort payment out between you and GP. Also they are only asking GP what your illness is, what treatment you've had,what drugs you are on,are you mentally and physically able to possess and use guns safely. They don't ask personal questions like are you a nice person,what's your home life like etc. then again anything to do with me is private and personal don't you think!

On the basis that your doctor is your referree and the FEO will be or should be speaking to him I would suggest you should suggest to the FEO he asks the questions directly, and that way he should get an impartial and unbiased response. By you asking your doctor for a letter you adding bias into the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    On the basis that your doctor is your referree and the FEO will be or should be speaking to him I would suggest you should suggest to the FEO he asks the questions directly, and that way he should get an impartial and unbiased response. By you asking your doctor for a letter you adding bias into the system.
    The police gave me the letter to give to the GP with the points they needed him to answer.

If I read this correctly, your due for renewal?
    if this is the case then the letter should be asked for and paid by the police. The requirement for renewal is to mention any changes in health when re-applying not to get health checks done yourself

On a personal note I and all the admin team wish you a speedy and full recovery.

On another note I find the police asking for a letter for this to be rather insulting. Its not enough that people have to deal with recovery and all that goes with it, but to ask for a doctor to write a note to satisfy the police I personally think is a bit much. I agree that all sorts of emotions run through ones mind when dealing with such events, but this is hardly going to make you a threat to public safety.

Good luck and all the very best for the future.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

I had this in November and its nothing to worry about as they are just doing their job. Depression is a concern and what may worry some is just a fact of life to others.You will be visited before issuing your new licences and a follow up home visit in six months or so.
    Take care.