Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Humane dispatch calibre?

Humane dispatch calibre?

I recieved a call early on this afternoon, a deer trapped in a fence, "will you come and shoot it please"? Now as it happens, I was out with the 6.5x55 already so I drove straight there.

It was a fallow yearling and a more unprepossessing animal I have never seen. Not only had it got itself trapped but it had a huge partially healed scrape on its back. It was in a double fence about 1.5m wide with small hedge plants. The poor wee thing had got in and could not get out, got stuck and ripped the lower part of its right rear leg off. It had nearly torn the bottom part of its left near fore-leg off too.

I just used the 6.5, the ground was soft, so a quick dispatch ensued.

But what would be the best thing to use if/when called out again? Would a .22rf be a better choice, or even a .410, what would you recommend?

Any help gratefully recieved

ft

spelling edit, sorry

depends on the location, use what you have to put the poor beast down!

Hi Flytie

I use my 458 Lott with 300gn flat nose soft pints. I have downloaded the cartridge to 45-70 levels so its just deer legal in terms of energy. The advantage is the rifle is short barrelled and on ironsights acts like a shotgun with less ricochet risk than slug. With a scope its zero at 25-100m.
    I have used my moderated stalking rifle in the past and found it a bit unbalanced and slow to pick up the target on if a wounded deer suddenly breaks cover.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MarkH
    Hi Flytie

I use my 458 Lott with 300gn flat nose soft pints. I have downloaded the cartridge to 45-70 levels so its just deer legal in terms of energy. The advantage is the rifle is short barrelled and on ironsights acts like a shotgun with less ricochet risk than slug. With a scope its zero at 25-100m.
    I have used my moderated stalking rifle in the past and found it a bit unbalanced and slow to pick up the target on if a wounded deer suddenly breaks cover.

Mark
    Mark, I can just imagine the look on his face if I asked my FEO for a .458 Lott for "humane dispatch", it's almost worth doing And while I agree that a 45/70 or similar (your downloaded Lott) would more than do the job, I was wondering given a variety of circumstances, what would be the best option?

It could be a road collision, so on a hard surface. On stony ground, so riccochets could happen.

It is just playing on my mind, as I have done three in two years, all of which were in fields. Who knows about the next one, it could be anywhere and I wondered what other like minded folks were using?

ft

edit;
    http://www.thedeerinitiative.co.uk/p...0published.pdf
    http://www.bestpracticeguides.org.uk...atch.aspx#logo
    and,
    http://www.bestpracticeguides.org.uk...ispatch02.aspx

bieng a cheapskate i always wondered about putting in 4 a 410 humane despatch pistol with the veiw of buying a 50 quid folding 410 and cutting it down to use as a pistol could either use nomal cartridge for hard ground and close range or a single slug if it was necessary to stand back a bit,not sure of the legalities of changing a shotgun to a firearm though but i am sure the firearms would be much more amicable in issuing a single shot 410 than a full bore pistol

Quote Originally Posted by mickjgardner
    bieng a cheapskate i always wondered about putting in 4 a 410 humane despatch pistol with the veiw of buying a 50 quid folding 410 and cutting it down to use as a pistol could either use nomal cartridge for hard ground and close range or a single slug if it was necessary to stand back a bit,not sure of the legalities of changing a shotgun to a firearm though but i am sure the firearms would be much more amicable in issuing a single shot 410 than a full bore pistol
    Mick, I know hunt servants and slaughtermen can apply for a cut down .410. I have just applied for a variation to my FAC and seen that they are mentioned on the blurb available. Would they grant me one for the limited amount of dispatches i do? Not sure. Although i am being asked to do more and more.

It is surprising how many people have now asked me about this service since I did this one near a local village. It seemed to involve most of the parish council ringing round everyone they could think of to come and dispatch a severely injured fallow follower. I have got some more stalking from this too, so it was well worth doing.

I am still unsure about what is best, I like the idea of a folding .410. Cheap, easy to carry and hide in the vehicle. Mmmmmmm! Probably safer than a .22rf sub-sonic too.

You have got me thinking.

Atb, ft

thing is if you get it cut down to pistol lenght it would be easier to handle if you have to crawl into bushes etc plus you would be legally able to buy single slugs which you cannot on a shotgun certificate,they are more than cpable of dipatching a deer of any size,thousands of pigs were dispatched with them years back when there was a countrywide pig disease

At close range a .410 is near perfect for any size of deer. It's about the only use mine gets these days as it's child size and waiting for the next generation of Moles to learn with it!

So, the general concensus is a .410 is the tool.

I do not know about the cut down version Mick I am not sure if the FEO would wear it. Not sure about slugs either, but they would be damned effective at close-ish range.

Many thanks, ft

if you did not want to go the section 5 route there is still nothing stopping you from cutting the barrels down to 24",folded it would then be quite compact