Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dissapearing roe deer

dissapearing roe deer

ok lads normaly i have lots of roe deer on my shoot like lots literaly hundreds .now we had a good cull program on the go we took out the old and infirmed deer leaving plentey to spare nice health deer which we hoped would give us good sport in the years to come now i have looked round the land in the last few weeks and the numbers are pitifull spotted 3deer i can normaly spot 3 deer just steping from the car on to the ground where have they all gone i thought they may well be sheltering in the forrest but had a look with the night vision and woods are dead there are no dead deer laying about poachers are out so where have they gone

Where in the country are you?

Have you had adverse conditions for weeks going on 5 to 6 weeks?

When trying to manage a population on an area, it is always best to have a mixture of ages on the ground, you shouldn't be shooting all the older ones. There should be something like 20% old, 20% mature and 60%immature culled each year. This is flexible between species and ground, but it gives you an idea.

Wraith,

I was going to suggest they had gone more nocturnal due to a bit of culling... however then saw the NV bit...

When did you access that there where hundreds as such, as it was it different weather... not sure what your ground is like but the bit we have been stalking in Hampshire tends to show a lot more deer when the temperature drops of just that little bit...

ie from the weekend till today just a few degrees, sat and sun we had two guys all weekend shot 3 deer and today 1 guy shot three deer...

We still see the deer when it is slightly warmer just a lot harder to stalk, im assuming less energy needed to keep warm less time needed to feed...

But again doesn't really explain why you don't see them at night...

Alex

How big is your ground? You say "literally hundreds" is that a figurative number or have you counted/assessed Roe numbers as being in three figure multiples? If you have 2-300 roe in a three acre wood they may be feeling a bit peckish by now and moved on?

Quote Originally Posted by jingzy
    Where in the country are you?

Have you had adverse conditions for weeks going on 5 to 6 weeks?

When trying to manage a population on an area, it is always best to have a mixture of ages on the ground, you shouldn't be shooting all the older ones. There should be something like 20% old, 20% mature and 60%immature culled each year. This is flexible between species and ground, but it gives you an idea.
    scotland bud have not gone mad on them bud just dont understand how so meney deer can vanish the land i shoot was a no go area for meney years so deer got totaly out of hand there were more deer than rabbits on the land every where you looked there were deer in little groups we shoot about 170roe deer two years ago then left the deer for a year no shooting just foxing last year there were still hundreds left this year admitedley the large forest has bean felled but my ground contains lots of wooded areas all the way throe it so cover is not the problem now a lot of you may be thinking 170deer from one bit of land thats way to much but trust me this land was a sporting estate that had not had a shooter on it for a lot of years i was fortunate enughf to know the new land owner who was happy to see a large dent in the roe deer so ive had 170 where did the next couple of hundred go i have all the land surounding this estate as well so a good few miles but the deer are not on the outskirts beam me up scottey a big hole opened up and they all fell in just cant get my head round this deer just cant disapear and as im out most night foxing poachers would be spotted and the ocasonal shoot at a fox would not scare them off the word flumoxed comes to mind

I would think your deer will still be in the cover and start to show in the next few weeks,on my ground you don't see roe in numbers bit we still cull over 100 per year bucks and doe's combined.
    My ground has a lot of public use and large scale forestry work underway all the time but we still manage to chip away at them if i'm wrong i'll eat no not my hat but a couple of digestives lol
    if you have no past cull info are you realy sure you have the numbers you think you have,the cull you carried out might of taken the numbers right down and one season without shooting would not see numbers bounce back
    amberdog

I've noticed that when the wind is from anywhere between North and East(which normally means it's bloody cold!), there are no deer to be seen, especially Roe. I have no idea where they go, but they just do! You won't see them at night either as you said. It's a strange phenomenon indeed, but they just seem to vanish without trace!
    Then the wind changes, everything warms up and they re-appear!
    Weird Eh??!!
    MS

Out with Alex in what seemed to be a mixed bag of all weathers we saw between 20 -25 Roe on the day i had with him..

It was around zero - 2 degrees and with a mild sprinkling of snow flakes then a nice warm sun which was greatly apreciated in the high seat followed by a very cold evening..

Was nice to see so many whilst getting round the estate..

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker
    I've noticed that when the wind is from anywhere between North and East(which normally means it's bloody cold!), there are no deer to be seen, especially Roe. I have no idea where they go, but they just do! You won't see them at night either as you said. It's a strange phenomenon indeed, but they just seem to vanish without trace!
    Weird Eh??!!
    MS
    hope you are right bud stalking invisable deer is hard work keep you informed over the next month

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker
    Weird Eh??!!
    MS
    your bloody right there ! the only deer i tend to see on a north / north east is reds .

not a roe in sight !

cheers lee