Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sako AV

Sako AV

Good evening everyone, I need some feedback on a sako AV.
    i have the chance to buy one of these but have not heard of them before, so have done a bit of research on the sako web page and think I have found it.
    Can anyone who has/had one give me some feed back on this,it would be really appreciated.
    Regards jab,

Simply buy it! I have a AV in a 6.5x55, S/N 575XXX, manufactured in 1982. Its the last of the Mohicans, the great L61R actions, over built and over engineered. In the mid-80s they went to CNC and Sako was never the same. Despite its age, mine still shoots sub MOA. If you want to upgrade and re-barrel you are building on one of the best push feed actions ever made. Below is a link to the manufacturing dates. Just my opinion and good luck.

http://www.sako.fi/pdf/datatables/Sa...sNumbering.pdf

That's a old rifle James, calibre ? bet its 3006 Steve

Ive built several rifles on AV actions, they are really very good.

Sometimes the trigger can require stripping, cleaning and re stoning (not surprising on a 30 yr old action) but they do make a fantastic stalking rifle with very good accuracy.

I wouldn't hesitate considering one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Simply buy it! I have a AV in a 6.5x55, S/N 575XXX, manufactured in 1982. Its the last of the Mohicans, the great L61R actions, over built and over engineered. In the mid-80s they went to CNC and Sako was never the same. Despite its age, mine still shoots sub MOA. If you want to upgrade and re-barrel you are building on one of the best push feed actions ever made. Below is a link to the manufacturing dates. Just my opinion and good luck.

http://www.sako.fi/pdf/datatables/Sa...sNumbering.pdf
    Thanks that was the info that I found, I have 2 sako 75s and a tikka595 all shoot better than I can. So you can see I quite like this countries rifles.
    what does the AV stand for? Some one has told me it may be to do with controlled feed but we can't find anything.

Quote Originally Posted by steveford1 View Post
    That's a old rifle James, calibre ? bet its 3006 Steve
    Good guess

Quote Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
    Ive built several rifles on AV actions, they are really very good.

Sometimes the trigger can require stripping, cleaning and re stoning (not surprising on a 30 yr old action) but they do make a fantastic stalking rifle with very good accuracy.

I wouldn't hesitate considering one.
    Thank you that's the info I need to hear

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    Thanks that was the info that I found, I have 2 sako 75s and a tikka595 all shoot better than I can. So you can see I quite like this countries rifles.
    what does the AV stand for? Some one has told me it may be to do with controlled feed but we can't find anything.
    AV is just a series, started with AI etc. I don't think Sako ever made a controlled feed AV / L61R, but I could be wrong. My action is a push feed although it looks like it is a CRF with the guide on the side of the bolt. And yes, tough trigger. I have a finnlight 85, but still prefer the style of my older Sako, which is also topped with an older steel-tubed S&B. Its just a beautiful piece of machinery.
    Last edited by Sidewinder; 24-06-2014 at 21:51.

L61R was made from 1961 to 1991. This is the long action, .30-06 and magnum action, like .375 H&H.
    The A1, AIII, AV, denote modifications along the way. There are some AV stampings for the short action L579 ( 1957 ), but mostly when you hear "AV" it means a long action or Magnum action. The AV long action is a change to the rear of the action in 1981. The same change from AIII to AV for the L61R Magnum is in 1982.

They are superb rifles, classy, balanced, quiet safety, fine trigger, accurate and reliable.
    The smaller actions are a scaled down match, the L579 being for the .243, .308 size, and the L461 for the .222, .223 size.

They have an integral tapered dovetail in the receiver for Sako ring mounts.

I have a very early L579 (mid 60's) which never struck me as being really well made. Recently I fitted a roughly 20 year younger Sako action to a stock for a client that just screamed quality. It was in 243, not a L579 action but I just can't remember which action it was.
    edi