Thread: boar trophies

boar trophies

Could anyone recommend a method for affixing boar tusks to a plain round shield?

Many thanks

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    Could anyone recommend a method for affixing boar tusks to a plain round shield?

Many thanks

Novice
    Clear silicone would be fine.

You would also be able to peel off if for some reason you wanted to remove them from the shield at a later date.

That reminds me, I need to put my bronze tusks on my rather ornate shield and put on the wall next to my CWD, roe and Muntjac medals.

Thanks for that. Just to be certain, did you fill the tusks with the silicone, then also put some along the rear to fix them to the board? I understand that they split over time if you don't fill them with something.

Novice

The ones I've got (from Spain) are fixed on to the shield with a silver type end cap, which goes over the end of the tusk, which was in the jaw, and held on with wire and silicon

Thanks for that. Just to be certain, did you fill the tusks with the silicone, then also put some along the rear to fix them to the board? I understand that they split over time if you don't fill them with something.

Novice
    I was told to melt candle wax into them by my guide in Poland.

Tom

Novice
    wood glue is what mine are filled with. Candle wax will do the same job but with more effort on your part. I would imagine trying to pour the wax into the tusk without making a mess would be the hardest part.