Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you de-copper 17hmr?

Do you de-copper 17hmr?

Does anyone know the definitive answer to this? I've put at least 2000 rounds through my cz and only occasionally pushed an oiled patch through. It holds zero (.75" @100 yd off a bag) would it benefit from a damned good thrashing with some chemicals and a bronze brush?

only the barrel can tell you that
    has accuracy dropped off?

my HMR would struggle to better that on anything other than a tunnel range bench!!

i doubt it at that score wait till you miss a few then clean it,
    DONT START

Cheers boys, that's saved me a job then! Some US sites say clean it like you would a centre fire, others say don't even look at it. Some have said after chemical cleaning it takes 100 rds to come back on song. Shove that.

The 17 HMR might be a rimfire but it fires a copper jacketed bullet so should be treated to the same cleaning regime you would use for any rifle that shots jacketed bullets.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    The 17 HMR might be a rimfire but it fires a copper jacketed bullet so should be treated to the same cleaning regime you would use for any rifle that shots jacketed bullets.

Ian.
    That may be the case with CF's but its certainly not the case with a Hummer. The Hummer needs that slight Copper coating the same as a 22LR likes a Lead coating. I think a lot of people read too much into Copper doing barrels harm, when in fact it is mostly the corrosive powder residues that cause problems. I just used to put a dry patch through mine at the end of a session and remove the mod. Don't put an oiled one through as there is no need. As has been said just keep shooting until the accuracy goes off, then clean, otherwise leave alone on the HMR, I am sure 99% of owners will tell you the same.

And so it rages on! There is a world wide split camp on this one, and I'm still none the wiser! I think I'll continue to push a patch down it now and again till it starts mucking about ....... Unless anyone has any other ideas?

I've put a lot of rounds through my Anschutz 1717 and I did clean it "properly" once. the amount of copper removed was minimal so I haven't bothered since.

Good to know, I put about 50-75 rds a week through mine and if anything, it seems to get better and better. 2 bunnies at 190 + yds the other day with a touch of holdover. Zero mine at 35yd so 1"" high till 125yd , seems to be pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post

Ian.
    Not so Ian. In fact, Marlin Firearms says quite pointedly not to clean the bore of a 17HMR. I have a Ruger 77/17 with a custom, air gaged Green mountain Rifle Barrel Co barrel. Thousands of HMR's down the tube and never cleaned. Accuracy has never suffered.~Muir